Anybody know a CDL driver who wants a trip??

My buddy is definitely interested , he got the thread link I sent and will check in end of the week to see if you're still in need. Top notch dood that's ran just about everything.

Marquis Tree bought a new, large Liebherr, had to drive it from Newark to Mass, thru CT which has brutal regs. Marquis seems like good people, I bet if you called them they would give you plenty of beta on the ins and outs of driving a heavy crane interstate

Paul shouldn't need too many permits compared to what Marquis had to move. Theirs was a 110 ton crane, they need permits just to take that thing off their lot lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every state has their own permit to cross. Some are only available online. Need to buy them ahead of time or that rig will sitting at every port of entry waiting. I looked into all that when I drove the k boom home from VA. 4 days is unlikely with a log book.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
FWIW this crane doesn't have an auto trans. It does have a secondary gearbox. Never driven anything with that...

As stated I am totally green with this stuff so really need to do my homework...

I asked my helper, and he's considering. It is aheavy amount of permitting and probably a 6 day trip at the least. I don't know what it cost to get that across country, but I'd imagine in the teens or close. You'll probably only save 2-3 G by hiring out. Still a size able chunk.

Paul, I guess that over there you will be needing to go through some certification program to operate the crane. Cold turkeying it right into tree work seems a bit challenging, unless you are thinking to hire an already certified operator. It will be interesting to see how it evolves.

Its hard to buy something without seeing it first (unless you have used one of same make) and go cold turkey for that much cash.

I would have to inspect it for myself, its condish, drive it, fiddle with it for the day and see if its what I expect for the money.....

hope it works out Paul and hope its a winner!!

Jay believe it or not at the present time you can run a crane for your own company without any certification. In 2 years time that is going to change and all crane ops will be required to be certified and you will need experience to be eligible to take the test. Hence my motivation to get into it now so hopefully I can get certified.. Kinda now or never..

Do it Paul. I missed my window here and it sucks. Cert came in and now it's prohibitive to even consider.

I guess that you already mentioned that about the cert. Being a guy that already knows from experience what a crane has to do up in a tree, the safety concerns, seems like a distinct advantage in the learning process. I imagine in most places that crane ops begin their careers lifting objects from the ground with no sudden changing weight dynamics with the variables, etc. Some move into tree work. I have heard others say that they don't like the difficulties when it comes to trees.

Seems pretty straightforward to me. I'm pretty comfortable with cables, winches and towers though from highleading.

That really does help Squishy but when you're tied in with no where to go the pick needs to be near perfect

Shoot I figure we will wing it, maybe pick up one of those guys on the corner with a "will work for food" sign and have him run it:lol:

Have you considered an AT crane instead of truck mount? More versatile in tight spots. Probably need to spend more cash though.

Really a far reach when you are up against some weight limitations, can call for some methods that they probably don't teach in school.

Yeah, I've worked with a few guys that were excellent and a few scaredy cats. Makes for a long stressful day or a smooth efficient day.

Back