Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

OK, now I get it. :|:
A picture is worth a thousand words, Thanks! :thumbup::D
I tried clipping a wire gate 'biner to my bridge and it didn't work at all, I'm gonna try that. ;)

Thanks Fi.
In this case the 1000 words saying is right. I simply couldn't figure out how you attached the extra biner.
I'll give this a try tomorrow, got a small birch to kill.

No worries guys, hope it work as well for you as it does for me.
Every now and then the extra biner gets a wee bit stuck under the HH biner and will 'click' out from under it, picking up the rope from slack to one hand when I've had weight off the whole thing , might just be the shape of my bridge attachment being triangular not round. Minor, once you've identified the noise its all in the background as inconsequential.

Thanks also Bermy. I am really old school (tautline hitch) but trying to get the idea with the HH. If nothing else works, I will be seeing Dave in a couple months. Then I will be in the new world. Bob

I didn't get to try your biner trick on the birch, Fi.
It ws a straight up and down wrecking job, so I just spurred up with a saw and slew it.

Today, however, I trimmed a large horse chestnut and worked all SRT.
It really makes a difference, and I tthink a small revolver carabiner will work even better in your setup.

I also got to play around with the revolver/croll setup for tripling up the line for branch walking. That is one sweet setup.

Thanks Fi.

It was a great trim job. A sunny still morning, lots of canopy climbing, Richard as groundie ( He is excellent) and priced high enough to allow some experimenting.
Best of all, the tree turned out really fine:)

The revolver's small end fits my SMC rings, barely!

Small adjustments on the tail hitch length make big differences on hitch tending qualities. I leave my HH on the rope AMAP.

I've gained so much from here it's nice to be able to give something back 8), glad it was worthwhile.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks also Bermy. I am really old school (tautline hitch) but trying to get the idea with the HH. If nothing else works, I will be seeing Dave in a couple months. Then I will be in the new world. Bob

Hey Bob, I was in your class beginning of January at LSU. I enjoyed the class and learned from it.
Once you get the sweet spot on the HH you will wonder why you waited so long :) Have fun!
By the way Bermy is quick to learn and very good at giving easy to understand advice!

For the hh users- where are u clipping your knee ascender to? Wasn't sure about clipping to my bridge ring and having the snap work it's way under the bridge?

I clip my knee ascender to my chest harness. I run the bungee outside my bridge. if I run it under my bridge, the bridge interferes with my knee ascender.
I also use a bat rig plate on my bridge, no wear issues at all. :)

I clip the has to the belt on my belt. Not the bridge but the belt. I found on my bridge if had a tendency to pull down my system.

One piece of elastic cord from REI, maybe 4mm, doubled-over, with clip-in pockets tied via overhand knots. Each pocket is about 2" long. I tie the cord to the knee ascender, clip my HH to it, allowing my lanyard to stay free, and then loop the top elastic pocket over my thumb. This allows a hand over hand climbing motion that advances the system.

For the hh users- where are u clipping your knee ascender to? ...

I clip my HAAS bungee to my chest harness. I found that it does not have quite enough stretch left when clipped to my waist belt.

Bermy, the reason for running the bungee through a carrabiner on your waist belt and back down to the Pantin was to increase the amount of bungee in the system so as not to run out of stretch. It was not for lifting the Pantin.

Bob, We are really looking forward to seeing you and Nancy again. The bad news is, the dogs are coming, too. :D

David

Could you post some pics. of your latest set up Dave? It would really be helpful for inexperienced folks like me. Thanks for doing so if you have time.
Pat

I clip my HAAS bungee to my chest harness. I found that it does not have quite enough stretch left when clipped to my waist belt.

Bermy, the reason for running the bungee through a carrabiner on your waist belt and back down to the Pantin was to increase the amount of bungee in the system so as not to run out of stretch. It was not for lifting the Pantin.

Bob, We are really looking forward to seeing you and Nancy again. The bad news is, the dogs are coming, too. :D

David
Same for me..... :thumbup::)

I was wondering why u did that even tho u have the bat as a connection. Looking forward to trying these out tomorrow thanks for the tips!

Back