Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

Actually, I'm wondering why you have the bungee attached to the Pantin. My ropewalker arrangements only use the bungee to advance the knee ascender...the Pantin comes along just fine by being firmly fixed on the foot.

You know, now you've made me think...
I put my system together from watching people's videos and reading their descriptions...I guess I didn't think long enough, :|:
I'ma gonna take that bungee off the Pantin next time out, thanks B!8)

Guys, and Bermy, I think I might have a gear problem. . . but in keeping with my efforts to re-invest the proceeds, I picked up a Rope Wrench. I can't say anything about it that has not been covered here already, but damn this SRT thing is sweet.

DSC03658.JPG

DSC03661.JPG

I ditched the upper Biner already and just let it offset the HC a little on the bottom hole.

Hope everyone had a good weekend! It's finally melting up here after that last big blast (almost 16" in one day). Woo-Hoo!! :D

Hey its ok, you can lump me in with 'the guys', saves typing more :)

I have not tried a RW, only the HH, mainly because when the RW first came out I wasn't keen on what I perceived as a bit of vulnerable gear that would get in the way a bit when moving up and through branches, when the HH came out I thought 'now that's more like it' more streamlined and compact.
There are many here who have a preference for the RW, mine is for the HH in the absence of ever trying a RW!

Ditto loving the flexibility of climbing SRT though.

I know, but I feel bad, when I'm like "ugh, hey guys", and I feel like I'm excluding you, and I don't want to do that because you're awesome at this. ;)

ETA: Yes, I did my first work climb SRT today. Top blew out of one of our white pines (actually most of it just kind of fell apart in the last bout of heavy snow) and was lodged in the other branches above a parking area. I shot it with the Big Shot, base tied, and walked up the rope to the offending sections and pieced them out. Lickety-Split. 8)

I always wanted the HH for working down a spar. Pretty much just wanted to try the RW. It seems to put more pressure on the hitch than the HH, as others have said, but it is very smooth on the transition from ascent to descent. I like it. I very much like them both.

Cheers!

The HH is a bit fiddly when changing ropes. I changed from HTP to PI today. A thicker, fuzzier rope, so it took a bit of dialing in, but then great. I'll use it all week on this job as the trees are all about 70', and I have a 60' rope after cutting my PI down. Leaving the HH on the rope and advancing it or feeding slack through it works for me. Oh also, as I turned the beeline, it was on a newer spot that was less slick until run a bit.

I tied the cross on the wrong side of the HH at first, which didn't tend. A bit of adjustment, and I didn't even go for the Bermy-second biner trick. Easy tending.

Would you guys mind helping out an old spur climber trying to learn "the ropes". I read through all the threads trying not to ask redundant questions. I have: HH, Haas, CMI foot ascender. I have a Treemotion saddle with a petzyl suspender/harness setup which I really like. It keeps the Treemotion just where I want it and feels secure with more attachment points. Anyway,my question is for a newbie that wants to feel more secure with more than one attachment point: If using a hand held ascender, what and where would you attach it to. The bridge, the saddle or where and with what? Sling? If I was to use a Croll, I assume that I would have to attach it below the HH and to my Petzyl harness/suspenders, but is there room below the HH to do this, or would I have to keep the hitch higher above me than normal instead of attaching it directly to my bridge? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Pat

Hand ascender attachment to harness.

Hey, Old Irish, Tim here. I'm a relatively new climber myself, so I may be able to relate to you more than most. Since I'm so new, take what I say with a grain of salt. I have the same harness that you do (mine is the older version). I like to use the four foot long version of this item from TreeStuff.com.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=21&item=1860

Those dyneema slings are almost as strong as the thicker slings, but much thinner and I'd guess lighter. I use the four foot sling and just pass it through the handle of my hand ascender, so that I can roll my body right or left and the sling just slides over the handle and keeps my weight centered. I have attached a triple-locking carabiner to each of the side "D's" on my harness, so I just clip each end of my sling into the two biners. I also make sure that I clip a biner into the top of the ascender once the rope is in it, just to make sure the rope doesn't roll out.

I'd be interested in seeing a link to the Petzl suspenders that you use. It doesn't happen very often, but it would be nice to know that if I happen to roll forward during a climb that I've got a harness/suspender setup that absolutely will not permit you to be dumped out of your saddle. I'm not there yet with my setup, so I tend to want to have connections to my rope that sit fairly high above my head, but still within reach, and tied to my side "D's". This makes me feel as though I have no chance of pivoting around the hip axis and dumping out of my saddle, which is what I'm looking for. The down side is that when you take off your foot ascender and remove your foot loop from your hand ascender, you can fairly quickly feel uncomfortably squeezed at the hips by your harness. I accept that trade off, and just try to keep the time periods without foot attachments to a minimum.

This is another piece of gear that I use all of the time, and it sits above my hand ascender. I absolutely love it and trust it with my life. It has the advantage of being a cammed ascender also, so no teeth to tear at the rope. It's not obvious from the ads for the device, but it has two separate holes into which to slip the quick-release pin, which allows it to accommodate a wide range of rope sizes. It's a thing of beauty, and I can't say enough nice things about this product.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=193&item=144

That's all for now, if I think of anything else I'll chime in again. Best of luck.

I started a beginner HH thread somewhere...but if you can't find it, stay here for the questions.
I know exactly how you feel about the newness of the HH/SRT stuff! It took me a while to get my head around only seeing one rope in front of me, I was pedantic about using my lanyard for peace of mind at all stages, going up, working and to a lesser extent, coming down.
I've been using the HH now for about three month and am MUCH more comfortable and confident.

During the switch/familiarization time, SAFETY THINK is essential, high on the list is the location of the 'down' rope as often you can't see it, so the second tie in adds that margin of safety and mental comfort. Also proper tending of the friction hitch, making sure its right for your weight and ropes and grabs reliably.

Second rope attachment I reckon would depend on where everything lines up when you are climbing and what spaces are available on the rope and your harness.

Good Luck, its a great addition to your 'box of tricks'!

Hi Pat, from my limited use with a treemotion, I think it would be low enough for the croll above with a HH. As to the accender I use one only to help keep upright which the your croll does. Best of luck in the answers you seek enjoy the spurless climbing.

Thanks all for the help. Tim I got the Petzyl setup from Bailey's (logger). If you go to their website you can find their Petzyl suspenders. adapted them to my Treemotion and can't say enough good about how secure it feels besides the attatchment points I have run across other threads about this issue with no answers. Hope this helps you a little. Riskybiz I will try hooking up the croll above the HH and see if that works. So I should attach the hand held to my saddle via a sling somewhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
hello old irish, I was wondering what rope are you using? I really like Samson Vortex with the HH and RW. it runs smooth and easier on the hands than smaller diameter. If you still want to use a handled ascender I would just attach it with a sling to your bridge as well. I have the DMM bat riggging plate on my bridge. With this you could attach everything to the bridge. With the HAAS most dont use a handled ascender since you are mainly using your legs. Hands for stablity mainly but you can simply attach a biner from chest harness to the ring on your rope bridge which is attached to HH if that makes sense. Check out the video under the HAAS description on Treestuff's website the inventor has some informative videos.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have been climbing on my HH for all my climbs lately. Haven't needed the HAAS since all my work has been pine and palm removals. I really like the HH for spar work. I was having a bit of trouble with pitch causing the hitch to seize but I read on another thread or forum that Pam cooking spray works wonders for dissolving sap and it does. Take it up the tree with you and Pam does her job. Just be prepared or clipped in with your lanyard as the Pam works so your once glued hitch doesn't give you a faster ride then you bargained for.

I agree with Southsound the HH does take a bit of fine tuning once on the rope. I have been leaving my HH on my climbing line. It's a great tool and tends very nicely once it is set up properly. I still would like to try the ZK-2 since I do like my Zk-1 and the Zk-2 looks superior to the 1.

What I don't understand is why you want to use both the HH and the croll.
The croll is ascender only, takes place on the bridge or on the belt's central point (on Sequoia SRT for example). The HH is at the exact same location, performs well as an ascender (less easy slack tending though) and is a champ as a descender.
If you have a hand ascender, that's all you need with the HH as the smallest configuration. A foot ascender is "handy" to pull the slack throw the HH. After that you have the nice systems of rope walker, more complex.
But the croll doesn't take place in this picture, except that you can use it instead of the HH if you want to fiddle too with a figure 8 and a hitch for the descent.
With the HH and the croll, you just complicate the system without obtaining much gain. At least as I see it.

ya, I skimmed and didn't gather what's what.

I'm a HH with a rope walker kinda guy. There's an Official Ropewalker thread, probably under the climbing forum.

Thanks for all the kind informative responses. My plan is to use either a Croll or a hand held ascender in combination with the Hitch Hiker so that I have a second attachment point. Once I gain confidence in the hitch system I may just go with the HH. Make sense? I am leaning towards the hand held ascender because it would help with the climbing and give a second attachment point. I will probably sling it to my bridge.

... I have: HH, Haas, CMI foot ascender. I have a Treemotion saddle with a petzyl suspender/harness setup ...Pat

Pat, you have obviously done your homework and picked out some of the very best climbing gear available. I would not recommend using a hand ascender or Croll in conjugation with those tools. Instead play around with the Hitch Hiker low to the ground until you get an understanding of how it feels and works. Use it in both DdRT and SRT modes. Get that out of the way before trying to a progress to a SRT rope walker system. You will need to be able to trust that your hitch will work and hold you every time you need it to.

Once you have the HH figured out then try setting up a walker system. You will need some type of strap for the HH to keep it up and enable it to advance as you pull slack from under it with the Haas and foot ascender. Try this first close to the tree and you can use your flip line for added security and to assist with balance.

Kudos to you for trying this. Having spent time on spurs you will realize just how easy it is with this system to walk up the tree on a rope.

Good luck

David

Thanks Dave I respect your opinion very much. I have used the Haas and CMI in conjunction with the HH, but only 5"-10' off the ground. I think that I have the tether figured out for the hitch setup. I may try it all, both ways with the Kong hand ascender and without to see how it feels. I live south of Dillon.

Wow! There is something south of Dillon? JK :) I'm in the Bitterroot. If your ever up this way give me a shout.

Ok, here is a picture of my bent gate biner in conjunction with the HH for one handed slack tending.
I like it, works really well.
Also in the picture is my 'new' chest harness that I made yesterday to clip into the accessory cord tether to self tend when going up with the knee ascender and pantin.

Attachments

• HH and bent gate biner.jpg
    HH and bent gate biner.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 94
Back