Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like that rigging plate on the bridge idea as well. I have been using a ring but when clipped double line it's a tight fit and a little awkward. Still love my HC with a friction saver on a pruning job.

How u been climbmit. I sacked up and climbed the two pines in my yard limbed and topped. First one my knee's were knocking then i realized i was tied in twice. LOL. I have a question for everyone though through that experiance. How do u keep your balance up that high. Is there a landyard tech i can use. And also one last thing how the heck do u sharpen your spikes. i gaffed out once and chit my pants they don't seem very sharp out the box. There the climb right's.

I like that rigging plate on the bridge idea as well. I have been using a ring but when clipped double line it's a tight fit and a little awkward. Still love my HC with a friction saver on a pruning job.

I've been using that same plate for quite a while now and I love it. The only thing I can find to say against it is my Big Dan steel 'biner won't fit the holes, but that's not really a big deal. :)

How u been climbmit. I sacked up and climbed the two pines in my yard limbed and topped. First one my knee's were knocking then i realized i was tied in twice. LOL. I have a question for everyone though through that experiance. How do u keep your balance up that high. Is there a landyard tech i can use. And also one last thing how the heck do u sharpen your spikes. i gaffed out once and chit my pants they don't seem very sharp out the box. There the climb right's.

Hey, haven't heard from you for a while.
Jeff Jepson's book "The Tree Climber's Companion" has some good illustrations and techniques on tying in on "oppposing" limbs/trunk to keep a stable work position. It's a good book to get with a lot of great information. I've got a copy in my car right now, I was reading it(again)just the other day. :)

Yeah, Sorry bout that Nhlocal, Was moving and closing on a house. Moved jobs etc. Sorry to stay away so long just been busy, had to live with the inlaws for a lil bit. "not internet". but im back and settled in my house finally. It took 3mths to close on this house. The gov. shut down and i was using a v.a. home loan. But thanks for noticing i have been gone talk to yall later. Thanks for the advice i have that book somewere i'll go look for it tonight.

ch74, Charles, I have been wondering about you. Good to see you posting again and hear things are moving along well for you. I have some thoughts about your first questions regarding balance, fliplines, sharp climbers but, as they are a little longer and don’t fit the HH thread so well would move that answer over to Beginning Tree Climbing thread if that is ok with you.

Hey Charles, That's great to hear! You can come by the house next time your out my way and we can play around on Spikes and with the HH and RW. Things have slowed a bit so a may have time now ;)

No problem merle. And climbmit that would be awsome. I usually dont get to slidell till evening on wed. But how bout weekend after next. I have to take a tree down for my dad so ill be in slidell that weekend for a cpl days. Ima take the one down that got hit by lightning. The tops already brown after 3weeks.

I wonder what percentage of people who really learn to use a HH quit using it and go to another device? Small to none, I reckon.

Good point and have you noticed that this has turned into a HH thread. Here in the UK, a lot of guys who were shouting "RW forever!" last year have now tried the HH and prefer it.
I have not heard a single case of anyone going HH to RW as a preference.

Good point Old Mill I noticed that as well. I haven't tried the Zk-2 only the original RW. I really enjoy it but really am liking the HH. I was given the HH in return of showing a new guy the ropes. He wants Uni instead but if he has read all of this thread then he may want it back :P Mine now! Kidding Ch 74 :D I think after you climb on it you may change your mind so I will regretfully give it back if you like it. Haha

It is for orientation of the HH. He just ordered a DMM Bat rig plate for his bridge if I am not mistaken. It is on this paige or the one before.

Good point and have you noticed that this has turned into a HH thread. Here in the UK, a lot of guys who were shouting "RW forever!" last year have now tried the HH and prefer it.

I find the opposite. At TREEJAM, I was the only one of 20+ SRT guys on a HH everyone else was RW

mobile...

I wonder what percentage of people who really learn to use a HH quit using it and go to another device? Small to none, I reckon.

I find the opposite. At TREEJAM, I was the only one of 20+ SRT guys on a HH everyone else was RW

mobile...

I'm flying the RW. I've met both Paul & Kevin and tried both systems. They both work quite well, different but very well -- pros & cons to each. The only reason I picked one is because I already had one and not the other. I couldn't afford to have both. If I had the HH first, I'd be flying it now. The difference while working in a tree is small enough, I couldn't justify having both.
:)

Stephen those really are great pics. :)
I would be very interested to know how you like the small rig plate, once you get it and use it for a bit. Look forward to your updates on it. :thumbup::D

Will do....
For me Jack... The HH suited my climbing style better. I do a lot of switching back and forth Ddrt and SRT depending upon tree or tree characteristics. Sometimes in the same tree. I do a lot of single stem as well. HH eliminates the Adj friction saver on a block down. Just cinch it.
If I do come down a cinched line.. the Wraptor will take me right back up it with another line. HH works great with the Wraptor. No need to set up Ddrt on it, just tie right in. Closer tie in than the WR as well.
Just a lot of advantages for me in my climbing style.

Sure Stephen, what ever matches your climbing style. Don't get me wrong. I think both the HH and RW are great innovations. Like I posted earlier; if I hadn't already had the RW, I'd probably be on a HH. And, the HH has an advantage in "switching back and forth Ddrt and SRT". When I worked with Paul earlier this year, I used his HH for a crane job. It was great. But, I almost never use DdRT. So, the RW has been the best match for my style. And the Cooper Hitch works so sweet, I'm not planning on changing style or systems until a purely mechanical system is developed. I'm looking forward to seeing how Kevin's Rope Runner pans out.

Back