Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

Absolutely agree, the best.

If I were not already actively avoiding multiple offers of employment, post retirement, because I need a job like I need a whack on my knuckles, I'd be seriously considering pushing myself on Paul Cox. Not that he wants my oar in his rowboat :D.

If Paul needs anything to make Ropetek an arborist's tool developement and production power, it's the freedom to leave the daily grind of making a living behind and imagine stuff, IMO. Wish I had the umph to make that a reality for him. I think he's a genius, and I don't throw that term about lightly.

The boy needs about a million in investment monies to Ropetek so he can quit the daily grind and really turn his attentions to his genius at product creation, and if I had it I'd do that with no qualms.

:D
Someone is going to be the first in our industry to start using “Crowd sourcing”. Got to start a thread on that one day.

IMG_0006.jpg Hey Paul... Serious BIG THUMP UP there fella. The Hitch Hiker is awesome!
Well thought out and a serious time saver just using it on a spar..
Well done my friend. :)

Hitch Hiker! Get Ya Some!!

I wonder what percentage of people who really learn to use a HH quit using it and go to another device? Small to none, I reckon.

I was very surprised at how smooth it tended... Took me very little time to dial it in. Tried it on 3 ropes. Of course the bee line has to break in and fluff out some. Might mean taking a wrap off. I am going to try some Ultra Tech on it as well since I like the cordage so much.
I want the bee line to fluff some more before I put new blue moon against it.

The use of a foot ascender is great with the HH. A rope walker for short ascents while in the tree can take a lot of strain off the arms over the course of the day. I need to use a longer piece of Tech Cord for my slack tender clip-in loop to experiment a little more for a DdRT clip in point, a la the Hitch Climber. It would be sweet if there was an integrated point built into the HH that would work for a slack tender and Ddrt point, but I can see that it would be hard.

I am going to kind of do what I did with the HC pulley on my bridge. Just use the DMM Bat rigging plate instead of a pully on the rope bridge. Should work fine. It will give me back my 3 points I am used to..
rig926-500.gif

I wonder what percentage of people who really learn to use a HH quit using it and go to another device? Small to none, I reckon.

I reckon you're right...I thought I would be going up HH then switching to DdRT for work, I've just stuck with the HH for the whole job so far. It is so easy to clip the basic and revolver on for a down and up or branchwalk if I think I need it...and hooking into my pantin and the chest tether for a quick short ascent is getting quicker and easier too.
I so could not visualize how ascending next to the tree during the work could be so easy with it until I actually had one

Stephen,
I've been using that exact same rig plate on my bridge all summer. It's very small and compact, and very user friendly. I believe you'll be very happy with it. :thumbup::D
Not the best picture to show it, but it's recent, and gives you an idea of what it looks like on the bridge. ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_9342 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_9342 - Copy.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 101
I think it was Burnam that suggested it. Saw a couple guys using it... Figured I would give it a try. It is nice to have your gear for life support organised close. Having three points works good on SRT or with the Wraptor.

Worked a mistletoe removal job in two trees on a pond all SRT today.....
Still have to plan a little different, but my redirects were all that slowed me down. WP was not an issue. Already have some practice doing that. I should have shot my line in higher in the black oak and gone from there. However, that would not have been a good plan for this tree. Too much mistletoe in that species says inspect everything on the way up.
Two trees in 4.5 hours is not bad considering their condition....

Nicely done. :thumbupold:

I found over the summer that I gained confidence just about every time I used my Hitch Hiker. :)

I have been using SRT for a while, so my confidence (that and Paul made the dang thing :lol: ) was not slow in coming.
I did have to tighten the bee line prussic a couple times in the tree. No biggie.. The cord is just breaking in is all.... Only took a minute each time.
I still need to fab up the capture for it so it tends on ascent better. Just have not had the time as yet. Boot straps are still pout on the shop waiting for my attention. LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have been using SRT for a while, so my confidence (that and Paul made the dang thing :lol: ) was not slow in coming.
I did have to tighten the bee line prussic a couple times in the tree. No biggie.. The cord is just breaking in is all.... Only took a minute each time.
I still need to fab up the capture for it so it tends on ascent better. Just have not had the time as yet. Boot straps are still pout on the shop waiting for my attention. LOL

Boot straps? I need to make one too. I think I saw others use old spike straps?

I have been through many different climbing systems since starting out on a tautline hitch, and of all the transitions I have made the HH has by far been the best. I have been climbing on it exclusively for the last six months and I can just not imagine going back. I love this thing!

Many, many thanks to Mr Cox!

If you guys mean a clip-in loop for an over the shoulder/ around the neck slack tender, anything beats nothing. An old shoestring would suffice for the moment. Don't wait until you have the time to do it perfectly.

I used a piece of Tech Cord, which I need to lengthen on a new piece, tied with scaffold knots. I clip my spliced eye to the life-support loop/ slack tender clip-in loop on DdRT. Still working out bugs on that, but promising.

I am going to just rig it like I had the HC... Slack tender to the two handled ascender with a piece of cord clipped into a clip in loop. The Two handled ascender also runs to a stirrup on my left foot (stiff step) via a clipped in cordage. Pantin on the other. Easier for me to grip the handled ascender than the rope.

Back