Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

David, what pulley are you using? What size ring? Thanks.

Sean, the pulley is a Petzl Fixe with the side plates pressed together enough that it snaps onto the ring. Don't skip that part. I'm not positive on the DMM ring, I think it's a 34mm but it might be a 28mm. I will try to remember to check it tomorrow.

It will take some getting used to but well worth it. Knee ascender bungee clip goes on the bottom of the ring and chest harness or neck bungee goes on the top of the ring. No tending tether. Smooth as can be.

I did that the first time I used it. I had the instructions right in front of me too.
I'm going to take something from Stihlmadd and put a small XXR or ABR ring above my knot to eliminate the fingertip burn.

I was trying out a pair of 'Gill' branded grippy gloves last week, got them from the local marine store for about $8...the rubber started to come off on the second day, bits of it kept getting stuck between my hitch and the rope...yeah, came to a complete stop several times, had to foot ascender up a bit, loosen the hitch pick out the rubber...ditched those gloves.

I use these all the time...trees, warehouse...used them today removing x-ray equipment. But they only list Medium as their smallest size....

https://www.palmflex.com/atlas-fit-300-gloves-black-dozen.html

300B_Atlas_Fit_300B-top-01.jpg

I was trying out a pair of 'Gill' branded grippy gloves last week, got them from the local marine store for about $8...the rubber started to come off on the second day, bits of it kept getting stuck between my hitch and the rope...yeah, came to a complete stop several times, had to foot ascender up a bit, loosen the hitch pick out the rubber...ditched those gloves.

yup I know the feeling
this happens with my hitch climber also
going up the grippy gloves are great but descending sucks

Bermy, have you tried the Atlas 370 nitrile? It is what we use and they come in small which is the size Sylvia uses. Moderately good grip and excellent dexterity.

Nick Bonner,

The Treestuff search engine gave me the HH link with HITCH HIKER, but not HITCHHIKER. Easy for tree folks to put as one word, and miss it.

A good part of the TreeStuff online catalog are the RELATED PRODUCTS link. Having the tender tether and recommended RIT cord, etc on that page might be easy enough. Get the petzl Fixe pulley, and the right size DMM ring, per David. Make it a super system.

Some pictures of the set up with the cord routing, as David does, would help a lot. Some new HH users still are putting it on backwards, initially, or tying it backwards (I've done). Show them the super system.

Yeah I normally use Atlas Small, I had run out though and was looking for something local.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zZ2Ulk0u4Hk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Been tying shorter hitches so I made a shorter tether for my RW , old tree Stuff one was 13" ,this one is 8.5" . Man, sure makes a difference when your going out on limbs, seems like theres way more room to grab the rope above than just the 4 1/2 inches I gained. More compact too. Just wish I could get the HH to tend rope even half as good as this thing !
IMGP0016.jpg

Could be something better coming, but for now this setup will match the slack tending of the RW while having all the HH benefits.

Attachments

• 20150825_114938-1_resized.jpg
    20150825_114938-1_resized.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 101
Same as Chris for me. I've been using all 3.

The wrench is the smoothest for me because it takes the largest amount of friction off my hitch. It's nice on prunes.

HH is more compact, switches between drt&srt quickly, and can get nice and close when you're blocking down a removal on a choked srt TIP.

I still use my unicender too. It's by far the fastest to setup, and can also switch between drt&srt. It's also nice on removals. It's awkward for me SRT when moving laterally though.. I'm talking limbwalks and descending swings. It's ideal for fast go up and get those x limbs and get on the ground.

Unless you make a quickly removable tether for the RW like I have, the HH is the most versatile of the 3.

Do you have any pictures of this tether? :D

Back