95" DBH+084+60" bar=KABOOM

Just did so in fact, and greatly enjoyed the ramble down memory lane.

Me, too:)
You are so right.
Some of the real informative threads, like our wedges and whizzy threads should be kept on permanent display for new guys/gals to read.
The sheer amount of information in some of those threads is staggering.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Could do that, I suppose. If y'all want, I'd look back through the archives for some of those Stig mentioned. Might find another few that are similarly valuable, though of course you'd have ultimate choice on their worthiness, Butch.

Bump...one of the best threads in the 'House over the years imo, as more than a few of our members have said. Ran across is by accident in a search I ran for an unrelated subject, but I sure enjoyed a re-read. Hard to believe it was 2015 the last time it was refreshed, or even harder that it was originated 11 years ago. Wow.

8" of bark amazes me. Thickest I've seen is oak, so maybe 1"? The bark on that is thicker than a lot of the trees I cut :^D

When you are right there close when a truly big tree hits the ground solidly, it is nearly beyond description. The earth actually trembles, your chest vibrates, your legs feel the resonation deep and longer than seems rational. Then the cursory stuff comes to bear...limbs large and small fall all willy nilly, secondary trees both small and large may fall as impacted by the giant.

It's an image and experience I like to recall. Not one I wish to reproduce...trees of this scale are few enough today that we shouldn't toss them on whim, and there is undeniable serious risk to your life and limb...but I'll tell you, being there, doing it, pulling that 60 inch bar out and running like hell to get behind another substantial stem for cover, then come out from your hidey-hole after the mess has finally settled, climb up on top of that massive stem and walk it out over 100 feet to the first limb, with another 125+ feet of tree still to go...I'd not trade those feelings and emotions for many others my life has more than generously granted me.

Last edited:
Back