Barber chairing- stay on the stump?!

It's not from a double-blind controlled experiment, but, IMO, more wedges share the work, and you get less edge compressing the wood, and more lifting, more easily, than with fewer.

My former supervisor, who is about 6'2-3", 230, and I beat over a big doug-fir with sapwood- rot (left standing dead for a while) that we had no way to pull. The outer back- cut moooshed a concerning amount. We took turns beating. Probably had 6-8 pairs of wedges, no jack on hand. After about 15 minutes, we got it over. Spent!!

A $50 jack would have been great, if we could have gotten some solid wood.
It was either before we got oil to refill the Silvey dual ram (found out it was light to carry due to being empty of oil when we went to pump the jack on a 5' dbh fir), or before we got the big tool box on the bucket to keep the jacks with us.

I just got some 5t jacks for a different project. One is going into the truck for any day I have a sore joint, and/ or to prevent one. My shoulder has been a bit sore since I went back to work after holidays/ covid break.

@sotc

You had an interesting picture of crisscrossing, stacked wedges, way back in the day. I thought that was an interesting technique.

If you have that one, or another, would you post it?

I usually cross them when i need to stack them, less likely to spit out when beating on them. Usually toss a sprinkle of saw dust between them too

Back