2 more fatalities locally, work safe people!

Paul B

I dig hammocks.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ffw8p9AmELw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry to hear. From my understanding of the news footage, the guy was killed by the butt end of the log when it rolled off the stump?
This is why we have safety standards in place. I wonder why he didnt have a planned escape route? And if he did, he obviously didnt use it!

Very sad, but avoidable it sounds. Complacency kills!

With his experience it leaves a lot to question. Such a seemingly simple tree.

Appears as if he tried to saw lean into the tree and lost control in tripping it,,, and stuck too close in the end.

Far better to take the escape and suffer the lesser consequence.

Damn, so sad.

From the looks of his cuts on the butt he probably got his saw pinched as the tree was going over and he stayed in the danger zone trying to save his saw.
No saw is worth my life especially working in tall timber like that.

We could speculate on this forever. It sucks not knowing the facts. A climber here fell a while back. He survived, but has no idea what happened to make him fall.

Looks as though there was a line lying along one of the trees. That cut looks strange for sure. Some twisting action going on there?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I ever see a report from the investigators I will surely share. From some tree guys that live much nearer to the scene they are speculating the lack of escape and the funky stump as well. Not sure of any details on the forestry faller situation.

I thought that they said something about multiple trees falling at the same time, from the witness/homeowner, that made me think he got hit as a struck by mid stem but then it seems he got hit by an odd stump bounce. Either way people seem to be leaning to a lack of escaping the zone. As said, complacency kills. Work safe people!

Hinge is cut off on the one side, and looks like it there are saw marks from the tip of the bar behind the hinge on the remaining side, which seems thick. At that height, it looks like he might have been cutting at shoulder height or higher. Maybe limb locked with another tree and cutting lean into it, as previously mentioned.

Sad.

I grabbed this from the video...see if this helps analyze cuts:

Attachments

• stump hinge swirl.jpg
    stump hinge swirl.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 21
That makes me think he lost his life trying to save his saw.

Must be a Stihl man, not a Husky guy like Willard.

Hinge is cut off on the one side, and looks like it there are saw marks from the tip of the bar behind the hinge on the remaining side, which seems thick. At that height, it looks like he might have been cutting at shoulder height or higher. Maybe limb locked with another tree and cutting lean into it, as previously mentioned.

Sad.
From looking at the butt photo Gary posted [if this is the tree that killed the faller] it looks like he may have hung the tree up into some other trees and then proceeded to cut the hinge off to free the tree by rolling it. Saw got pinched, he's trying to pull it out, tree rolls flips off stump and then nails him.

That is what I speculate too, trees don't normally "drop down", unless they are hung up on something, do they?

You can see where the tree sat back and pinched his saw while he was making the back cut (about 2 o'clock in Gary's picture). Looks like he got his saw out and then tried to cut it from the notch side.

I had a tree one time I needed a spring broad on and fought to square up the back cut. Way over my head. last tree of the day. Whooped my ass. I grew frustrated trying to get it over and went to sawing it off the stump. With just a few fibers left holding it to the stump the damn thing fell to gunn.

I didn't even have the energy left to buck it. I was so tired.

The thought of my frustration with that tree and the means I resorted to get it over sticks in my mind today. I come so close to killing myself because I abandon all safety measures just to get it to go.

It was one of my most shameful moments on the stump.

In retrospect I know I should have sawed a spring board out of a sapling tree and drove the tree with wedges to the lay the proper way.

That is where being tired will bring you to your ultimate fate too soon.

So foolish and lucky to be alive today.

The important thing is recognizing those mistakes and learning from them.

Our failures in life teach us so much more than our successes!

Back