066 rebuild no start

Sounds to me you have a leak some place .Could be a crankshaft seal,boot or a cracked fuel line sucking air or the impulse line if it has one .If everything is right you should be able to crank out the low speed jet so far it's blowing black smoke .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Definitely got it blowing smoke and running rich. Cranked out LA adjuster till it almost fell out, and it was still running puking smoke. Sprocket kept spinning though.

Im thinking the clutch springs are worn out maybe?

What rpm is it idling at / if idles at all ? Should be around 2800 with L set 1/4 turn out and LA adjusted properly if stock saw ...

The springs could be stretched from overheating or broken from age. I'd look there next.

I guess it's possible for a worn throttle plate to not shut all the way. But after checking the springs and replacing the clutch, it will likely be an air leak next. Clutches are cheap if you go aftermarket.

Clutch spring broken. They can be hard to see until you remove the clutch. I buy them a dozen at a time and keep them on hand for my 200T's. We pop one every few months it seems.

Ok, got it started and running. Racing engine at 3/4h 1/4L. Adjusted low setting out to 1 or 1&1/4, engine sounded happier but clutch was constantly spinning.

Air leak? Replace crank oil seals to start?
Could very well be an air leak ... you say racing engine with high and low set to stock settings 3/4H ; 1/4L and that you backed out the L To 1-11/4 turns and the idle adj screw until it almost fell out ? Id throw a tach on it to see where it’s idling (or racing)at the stock settings first

After market springs, alone or with the whole clutch, aren't up to the task. They keep breaking after a few weeks of work, at least for the ones I bought. I go for Stihl now for these parts. The chinese springs can do some damages inside, render the saw dangerous (the chain spins continuously) and take out the reliability of the saw. Very annoying.

I do not use “Chinese farmertec or hutzl” parts on any of my saws or builds - carbs , clutches , jugs/slugs etc it’s OEM or go home imho ... “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low prices are forgotten”

If you know enough to see what is wrong and correct it, china stuff can be used.

It sounds to me like it revs too high. If it smokes a lot and intense oily smoke it could be burning bar oil.
If its white vapor like it can be air leak.
Did you oil it a lot on assembly?
Is fuel fresh and correct?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The fuel is fresh, probably 32:1 mix. Im going to try a new clutch and see if that stops the spinning sprocket. Can get it to idle low, just, not low enough to stop the spin

Back