Would you do this?

Yes yes, I really knew that, was just wondering why we were hearing updates about newbie Chris, if he didn't care to hang with us himself? I must be missing something.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OKOK Remember I told ya'lls he's bummed it went down the way it did. He prolly feels stupid and is embarrassed to show his face. Give him time.

damn that looked DUMB as hell!!!! Tied into the secondary wire?

Not only tying into a spun secondary, but touching it and putting his neck on it. Around here squirrels chew the weather coating off of those. Touching that will put 220v right through someone.

I don't know if this is a true statistic, but I have "heard" that spun secondaries kill more guys than the primary wires. Is that a valid statement?

WTFrog:what:

No, touching a live 220v will kill someone. That's obviously (to me) something a climber would only attempt if he was 100% absolutely certain that there was no juice in the line. And since he was working emergency storm cleanup trying to get power restored, I think he was 100% certain the line was not energized.

I would worry bout someones generator putting power back into the system though......but Im a retard for shat like that

We would hope so, wouldn't we...

But, I've done line clearance. And the utility companies don't like to shut off service. At least out here they don't.

there are so many generators round here I would be skeered of grabbing any wire.......

Do they sell generators that don't make any noise these days? In a storm aftermath, the noise from generators is very easy to identify if there's one running within a block of you. Yes, there's always a possibility. But there's also a thing called 'calculated risk'. Knowing and fully understanding the risks is a whole lot different than just blindly obeying blanket rules of 'don't ever touch it', especially if you are tasked with fixing it.

Watched the vids, I've done that a few times. I've even used a 33000v cable as a zipline to get to the next tree. Any time we get a planned outage, we have earth jumpers put on the lines either end of our worksite. To many backfeed accidents from generators in the past.

What do the earth jumpers look like Ed. Is it something you throw over the line or something a lineman from the power company does?

I am still saying it was the saw use that bothered me in that video.

Jumpers would look like a heavy duty jumper cable for your car battery, except you clip it to the line and then clip the other end to a grounding rod that you hammer into the ground. My first bucket truck had a grounding cable on a spool on the back of the truck for grounding the truck to the ground wire on the pole.

You can see the grounding cable spool in this picture.

Do they sell generators that don't make any noise these days? In a storm aftermath, the noise from generators is very easy to identify if there's one running within a block of you. Yes, there's always a possibility. But there's also a thing called 'calculated risk'. Knowing and fully understanding the risks is a whole lot different than just blindly obeying blanket rules of 'don't ever touch it', especially if you are tasked with fixing it.

round here there are some that are pretty quiet......I dont fix wires......so therefore I dont calculate that risk...

Jumpers would look like a heavy duty jumper cable for your car battery, except you clip it to the line and then clip the other end to a grounding rod that you hammer into the ground. My first bucket truck had a grounding cable on a spool on the back of the truck for grounding the truck to the ground wire on the pole.

You can see the grounding cable spool in this picture.

Yup, pretty much the same here. Legislation for us states that we have to have earth's either side of where we're working, and if you cant see the earths, you can request another secondary earth is put in next to where your working.

Well im busted there. The grounds weren't installlwd but I had an army of guys who literally went to every house on the line. They wwere in grids so they were super easy to follow.
I know yur gonna say it's no excuse but they were short line crews and grounds. It happens. I was certain my guys covered every house in search of generators. I was more worried about the guns the home owwners wwere wavin round

It sounds like you did everything you could do insure safety.
I work with my brother and the others are very close friends. They are my second family. I couldn't bear the guilt if something happened to one of them. I'd never ask them to do anything they felt uncomfortable with

I hear that.
124.gif

i think it was a place called sunnyside. two pitbulls to every yard. they had been without juiuce for three weeks so when we got there they were alrea dy pissed off. the temp was welll over 100,there was no power, and these people werent exactly the working type.
im not advocating the dealing of drugs...but the vast majority of these people will never have anything else. i can understand why things take place in the big cities.

Back