Would you do this?

interesting avatar....

the old man gets no thanks for offering ya one that wuz right up yer alley?! :P

Kids these days... never listen to their elders.

Edit: you would only tie into 220v on a service drop by contacting both phase wires. I've heard of 277v street lighting which looks like a skinny twisted service drop and is single phase. I can personally attest that it really really hurts to get kicked with 277v. It's current and the ground path that will kill you though. Voltage=Pressure / Current=Flow

Kids these days... never listen to their elders.

Edit: you would only tie into 220v on a service drop by contacting both phase wires. I've heard of 277v street lighting which looks like a skinny twisted service drop and is single phase. I can personally attest that it really really hurts to get kicked with 277v. It's current and the ground path that will kill you though. Voltage=Pressure / Current=Flow

Voltage*amps( current)= watts( power). Don't let the lower voltage number throw ya. Current creates heat. Heat is an IR2( current*reistance[ ohms]squared) loss. Simply put it's wasted power. They transmit the power at high voltages and LOW amps. They may have a small voltage drops here and there but the current is constant. Then substations step it down further and the juice is distributed to the transformers where it's stepped down again to a usable voltage. 240/120 ( single phase)home. 480/277 ( three phase/single phase)usually light commercial. Most commercial lighting is 277 and it hurts. I was an electrician for a while and got bit putting in drop lights running off277

Yes blinky. Only if you contact both hot phase will u get the 220 potential

I just have to ask. Why all the climbing when you could of just set lines from the ground. Then cut the whole tree in one shot. Weight of the trunk would of pulled the tip out of the wires. I was always told ballzie was going as big as you can go, any ballerina can climb and cut small pieces. :evil:

Just my 2 cents.

I'm just kiddin by the way.:P

I just have to ask. Why all the climbing when you could of just set lines from the ground. Then cut the whole tree in one shot. Weight of the trunk would of pulled the tip out of the wires. I was always told ballzie was going as big as you can go, any ballerina can climb and cut small pieces. :evil:

Just my 2 cents.

I'm just kiddin by the way.:P
If you watch the video again you'll notice that it was already notched.A single nub was hooked around the service.
For every tree there is at least a thousand ways to take it down........and at least a thousand tree guys ready to tell ya how they would take it down.

If I had my way I'd have used a helicopter or a bucket of trained termites.{but I didnt have either}

I get that message, about the different ways to do things.

I do tree work as an independent, and also as a member of a crew when doing crane aided removals, tying off the cable and working at the stump. When doing the crane work, the crane operator is the boss. My own experience has grown to the point where on occasion, I'd prefer to do certain things a different way now. He's a super cool and smart guy, and we can discuss things a bit, or I'll bend his ear at lunch, but it's his call, and doing something stupid is not in his playbook....'cept. once :O Still, in some deep part of my brain, something is sometimes saying, damn!

Different ways to do things, for sure as a rule, I think. Maybe not always when no room for error, with what you have at hand, and folks have their preferences.

Wonder if those trained termites would pass import inspection here?

If you were really good, Chris, you could have just had the thugs with guns shoot off the spar that was hooked!

Back