would you buy this gun??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im lusting over their RFB, awesome bullpup.

Still amazed that you can just walk into a store and buy these...

I don't know much about guns, but i would sure know a lot more if I didn't live in such a gun repressive society. ;)

Looking at the Kel-tec website, they make a number of interesting looking guns.

The RFB is what the SA80 should have been on its first go. Nice that it uses FN FAL mags and shoots 7.62.
Interestingly, the British army is finally realising that the 5.56 nato round is not the best for putting enemies down hard, and are starting to reissue certain troops with the new 'sharpshooter' 7.62 high spec rifles. whilst the short and accurate SA80 is great for house clearing and is uber compact, the 5.56 rounds are just not lethal enough at range.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_EgIUu0IsFc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not exactly home-defense practical, though. Probably better to bludgeon an intruder with. :lol:

Who was the old shotgun guru here? Got some questions. I just took in trade a double 16ga made somewhere between 1921 to 1948 Springfield model 5100 with all metal furniture. IMO I call it 90% to 95% grade for condition.

Now this is something your dealer cant offer when your low on cash. ;)

I'll take a stab at it. What are you wanting to know?
I can tell you they generally dont bring a lot of money. You also need to be careful about what loads you put through it. No steel!

I'm thinking low brass only and lead. Was wondering what they could handle.

You should be fine with any lead field loads. Post up some pics.
Always cool to see a peice of history that shoots.

I'll get some pics later on. Nothing special, walnut stock and fore, no checkering. Nice bluing.

My dad told me he was using a springfield j. stevens 5100 made in Mass 16ga double to drop his first bird growing up. Guess who was having a nostalgia moment down memory lane.
He is bringing the boat up next weekend. So we are going to bust some clays with it out back and I bet I let him take it home with a one string attached.

You should be fine with any lead field loads. Post up some pics.
Always cool to see a peice of history that shoots.

This is not true. First off, your chambers may not be 2 3/4". They need to be measured. Second, modern field loads can blow up a Damascus steel barrel in an instant. Trap loads also. Many of those old guns WILL blow your fingers or face off with todays shotgun shells. Too much pressure from the powder. Do not use load velocity as a guide for pressure. It doesn't work that way.

On the flip side, you might be just fine to shoot modern 2 3/4" loads. But you must know first from an expert, or expert researched information, whether that is the case or not.

My tone wasnt that of a negative one. I just wouldnt want to see you ruin your gun or yourself. Ill bet a nickel you have 2 3/4" chmabers. Ill also bet that your barrel is not damascus steel. However, from what I gathered, you have a cool old gun that had a good reputation. They were cheaply made in their day, which means that the steel might not handle modern loads. That isnt an insult to your gun. Not at all. Some of the best guns in world history are cheaply made. Your local gunsmith can scope the bore and and tell you what ammo to use.

I never took anything neg wise :?

I know it is 2 3/4" so that was no brainer for me and know it is not damascus. The springfield 5100 was never made in damascus that I know of and I think before 3" was offered.
I was a armorer in the military plus other things. I do know guns a little anyways. Just not in to the techie stuff some are into. Tap tap is all one needs ;)

Oh it does say forged steel on barrels too.

I was throwing the negative thing out there just in case. How I type, and how I intend to sound aren't always the same. Now and again I throw that out there if I re read my post and it seems pushy or abrasive. It sounds like you know plenty about guns. Id still have a smith bore scope it or do what ever it is they do for shotguns to determine the integrity of the steel. I once witnessed a forearm blow off a shotgun and I've been always cautious with shotguns since. The forearm burst was operator error but still put things into.perspective for me. Rifle failures don't concern me too much. Only thing that I dread is punching a hole in a primer on an older gun.

My dad has a double 12 with hammers that will shoot both barrels at same time sometimes LOL. He said he found out the hard way shooting at a squirrel up high in a tree as a kid.

I beleive the gun you acquired will shoot continuously if you hold the trigger.

? 2 triggers 1 for each barrel. only 2 rounds total and 1 for each barrel and trigger. So you've lost me. double barrel shotgun and you break open to put new rounds in 1 for each barrel. There is no holding the triggers to cont to shoot.

This is not true.
I believe it is. First off is this the gun we are talking about?
Does your barrel have the "PROOF TESTED" stamp? Like in the pic? These barrels as made by Stevens who later purchased the rights to this shotgun & others from Springfield just prior to WW2
were usually of good quality.

If this gun does not have 2 3/4 chamber stamp it could have been made toward the beginning of manufacture then just to be safe have it checked out. It will still shoot the 2 3/4 but not safely.

Also you are correct in saying this gun should not fire both barrels at the same time. But with use the sear can get worn allowing the other barrel to fire when firing the first. What you need to do to check it is place a low brass skeet load in only 1 barrel,fire it, then check to make sure the other trigger is still set. If not the sear is worn.
But beware you also need to do this same procedure with the loads you plan on using. While these guns did not sell for much when made {unless a premier grade} & dont bring a whole lot of money today they still are a very good representation of a well made shotgun from yesteryear.

Attachments

• DSC02229.jpg
    DSC02229.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC02237.jpg
    DSC02237.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 3
I was thinking out loud and on the wrong page about the barrels firing continuously. I was mistaken. I thought the gun had a single trigger. It's 4 am and I'm foggy, but there was an old Stevens from back around then that would go back twice if the trigger was held.

As far as your advice Riverrat, its foolish. Any pre world war 2 shotgun should be checked out before firing, if you don't know when the last time it was shot was. If you want to insist otherwise, more power to you. Something tells me you just don't want to be wrong and simply say "wise idea".

Talking about a different gun shooting both barrels. Also I think I said (the gun that shot both barrels at times was) it was a 12ga and my dad as a kid.

I'll try and grab some pics today if time allows of plain jane.

Back