would you buy this gun??

What a sweet shooting gun. Dad came up north for a visit, so I got the new to me 16ga double out to try.

Patterned it with 7 1/2 and 6's. $3 a box more for 16ga.

Then shot some clay birds and rabbits. Really really liking this gun.

Cant believe how quite it is for a shotgun ( just seemed to be a pop). My dad noticed that too. Shooting federal game loads low brass.

More fun breaking out the Springfield double 16ga (dad used) and the Essex 12ga (I used) to shoot some live flying nuisance things.

Dad gave me some more info on the Essex. My grandpa was born in 1899 and the shotgun was bought new in 1915 for $20 for his 16th birthday.

Had fun going through some shells with both guns blazing yesterday with my dad.

While he was here he took the 2 grandsons (my son and my bro's son) to the local lake and caught 4 fish Ohio award crappies 15" 14.25" 2x13" and a bunch of others smaller 10" up kept. Legal 9's and below all put back.
Dad caught 3 of the bigguns and my son caught a black crappie that was 13". Only black crappie in the 2 days of fishing.

Wasnt a scope for the 223 he won on the 1st day it was a muzzle break from a vendor drawing he won.

Only guys that was in the actual shooting completions got in on the drawing for the gun. 5 events and only 1 ticket if you didnt win any events. If you won a event your name got put in 5 times per win. 1 guy had 11 tickets my bro only 1.

Green one laying down is the one he won.

Grand prize SRS.jpg

My much younger bro on the left and do you guys recognize the guy on the right. Taken at gun comp.

I love watching his gun builds and machine work.

bro.jpg

No generalization intended, but one of the strangest people that I have ever met in my life was a gunsmith.....a Munchkin wizard that seemed oblivious to other people in his presence and seldom spoke. His specialty was restoring old guns, of which he had them coming in from all over the country. Kind of famous, i saw a magazine write up about him. His eyes always seemed fixated on some place that only he knew, and he rode scrunched over on a little Honda minibike and rarely obeyed traffic laws. Without his handler that owned the place where he worked, no telling what would have become of him with that extreme eccentricity.

I've come across a few people like that in various occupations, if you happen to click with them somehow you'll never shut them up.

I got caught just a few weeks ago at a little back street lawn mower repair place, I just needed a plug for my home mower. Just about impossible to get into the shop and he was working at something and wouldn't look up for a while but finally sighed and came over.

Plug was 21 years old, pre resistor. He had the newer one hidden in a pile of stuff and I should just said thanks and left but said "never had any complaint's in all those years." Well that was it, twenty minutes of everything from plugs, ethanol, problems with our LPG, motor bikes [I was backing out by then, but his was outside] Diesel truck? :scrambleup:

My bro told me today he shot 800 yards for the first time and went 2for2. Said he had never shot over 300 yds before. I forgot to ask which gun was used for this at the shoot.

Furthest I have shot was 900 meters using open sites with tracers walking it on target with a M-60 :D

Back