would you buy this gun??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was off the top of my car with a bipod. I need a lot of practice at shooting free hand or whatever you call it. When you were comp shooting Carl What kinda groups were you getting at what ranges??

Usual Results:
In yards and MOA(1.0472" @ 100 yards) measured center to center, 308 Winchester, 5+ shot groups.
20-200= >.33
200-400= >.5
400-600=>1.25 if the wind wasn't bad twitchy or swirling
600-1117=depended on the day

1117 yards was my farthest attempted shot/hit on steel siloutte of man tactical match. I managed to land both shots.

I shot in tactical matches, not bench rest/F class. I could practice out to 200 yards easily at the house, out to 600 required driving to a friends hunting lease. 600+ required going to a match usually.

Yer too modest Like ridin a bike. Still have the equipment? That's big part, but you obviously did your part of realizing the rifle's potential.
I think I remember pics you posted , but know you also sold a buncha guns. I was drooling over the S&W .357

Nope, sold off most everything in my long range bag, including the bag. Scope is in FL, rifle went to Iraq, hard case went to Iowa, I forget where the Swaro went, as well as the rest of it. On the way to a match, I figured I had $11k of gear in my Eberlestock.

Still got that 627SW and holster setup though, Cali legal. ;)

Yeah, met him a couple minutes from Paul's (PCTREE) house. Bought that and a couple Glocks best I remeber.

I had the 327, not bad in the recoil department. Planning on carrying the 44 for a while? If not, I'd go for a steel framed gun myself.

Is 627 for sale? Not actively, but I'd still sell it for $1k with the CR Speed belt/holster and the Speed-E-Rack.

The 329 would be a hunting/packing gun. I hear ya about the steel frame but on horse or foot, the thing would be like a 200 vs a 440 hanging on my hip.
I might PM you about the 627 when I see what I get back in taxes this year.

buckshot 3 balls in 2.5" and 5 balls in 3"

My bro couldnt stand it and went and bought the used 3" judge. He was as curious as me and was only 30min drive from from seller.
My 70+ year dad and my bro shot it with 2.5" 3 ball #000 buckshot, no 3" on hand to test. Dad stated at 5 yards all 3 #000 balls from 1 round stayed inside 3 inch circle.
I cant remember if he said 15 yards on next shot but all 3 balls stayed inside 10" from 1 round. IMO for home defense most shots are going to be 5 yards = 15 feet or less inside your home, think about your room sizes.

Dad also said the 13 year old kid shot it with no problems. He also stated it felt somewhere between a 38 special and 357 mag with recoil felt from the .410 2.5" 000 buckshot.

So someday when it is nice out and I make the journey south. I can at least try this 3" mag judge out without guessing and any cost to me.

Food for thought.

55% of gunfights take place 0-5 feet.
20% of gunfights take place in 5-10 feet.
20% of gunfights take place in 10-21 feet.
95% of gunfights take place in 0-21 feet. Source FBI
The average man can cover 21 feet of ground in 1.5 sec
The average man cannot draw a gun from concealment in under 2 sec

cell phone pic

judge3inchmag.jpg

I think I scored big!

I took as a deposit these Peperbox pistols and an old muskatoon (?) I am throwing it out for discussion on value and if any of you would fire them with 40+ year old ammo. I am tickled with the find and need to clean them this I know. Any advice from the resident gun buffs on the cleanings the one with the black handle has scroll work and writing I have yet to decipher? 0219111614.jpg 0219111614a.jpg 0219111613.jpg

Any antique dealer will tell you never to clean an antique. A light oiling might be fine.

It is hard to tell from the pictures. They appear to be pin fire. If so the ammo is much older than 40 years. Can you post any high res pictures of the markings? Erik is right, do not do anything to remove the patina. A soft toothbrush with some oil may be okay . The flintlock looks to be missing the hammer. Are you near Eau Gallie Florida?

The two peppermill guns should be easy to date.
Pinfire ammo had it's time between roughly 1835-65.

So, a LOT older than 40 years.

It is hard to tell from the pictures. They appear to be pin fire. If so the ammo is much older than 40 years. Can you post any high res pictures of the markings? Erik is right, do not do anything to remove the patina. A soft toothbrush with some oil may be okay . The flintlock looks to be missing the hammer. Are you near Eau Gallie Florida?

They are pin fire. But old gent they came from said he had purchased the ammo 40+- yrs ago. I will not Clean them I will however lightly oil and see if I can't reveal marking a touch more and look with my rock and mineral loops. I am 3 to 4 hrs from Eau Gallie Florida.

The two peppermill guns should be easy to date.
Pinfire ammo had it's time between roughly 1835-65.
So, a LOT older than 40 years.

Thanks on the dates stig gives me a rough idea to start research the 40 years was for the ammo only.
and yes the hammer is off the musketoon but I have the broken part with it. The more I look at them the more I think I wish to keep them so I'll be doing the 3,000 dollar quoted job for the tune of 700 cash Hope the value in them will be worth it, I ball parked a value of 800 to a grand for each only time and research now will let me know. I will try to get some high def pics I just wanted to post cause as I posted I think I got a good score.
Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
This might give you an idea of the value.

Bear in mind that yours are in worse shape than the one shown here.

Back