Which square grinder ?

I'd like a ~70cc class saw. I have a 60cc & 90cc. Seems like stuff falls in the middle a lot of the time. Too big for 60, but not big enough for the 90. I don't do enough to warrant getting one, but it would be nice to have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd like a ~70cc class saw. I have a 60cc & 90cc. Seems like stuff falls in the middle a lot of the time. Too big for 60, but not big enough for the 90. I don't do enough to warrant getting one, but it would be nice to have.
Yeah 60cc is a weird tweener size. I have 3 I used a lot until I got my 346.

90 is as heavy as I care to work with very long.

70-75-80 is real nice. 2166/2175/461/7900. pull 32” in most situations. Don’t have to bend over.

My 60(ms362 25" bar) was my first pro saw. When I got it, it was probably the perfect saw for me. Not so big that it was super scary to use, but big enough to do what I needed it to do. I also wasn't *into* this stuff. It was to get a job done, and that was it. 7+ saws later...

60cc is the true middle saw imo. It doesn't do anything particularly well. It's not a light saw. I wouldn't want to spend a day limbing with it. It's also not powerful saw. It's not the saw I go to when there's a fat oak that needs cutting up. It's probably the closest you'll get to a one saw farm type setup. It can do lots of stuff at each end of the spectrum, but it isn't ideally suited for it aside from the 60cc stuff right in the middle.

I was just thinking of how nice (and tough :lol:) my dolmar 7910 is, good to hear another dolmar fan.
7900 Ported by @huskihl :

My 6100 is a Mastermind. I rarely use it, won it brand new in an opeforum fundraiser, too nice for likes of me. Starts super easy. Only complaint is it can be a booger to tune with the limited coil.

I like an MS 361/362. It's good in the tree with more grunt than an MS261.

Decent felling saw for a smaller sawyer, felling smaller trees.

YMMV

I've heard similar dislikes for the size, before.

I like an MS 361/362. It's good in the tree with more grunt than an MS261.

Decent felling saw for a smaller sawyer, felling smaller trees.

YMMV

I've heard similar dislikes for the size, before.
No dislikes, I love mine. Just different saws n sizes for different things. Sometimes I run 20” 8 pins, sometimes 24” 7 pin skip. Heck I ran 24” LP on my 346 once. Worked well but dulled fast.

Back