Lamar dump trailers reputation?

SeanKroll

Treehouser
Anyone know anything.

Seems like a mid-price dump trailer.

I like that they have a 6.5x 12', 10k, in stock, locally.

I can use a bit of extra room for the miniloader and stump grinder being side by side, plus I like a little extra volume.

I'm thinking a buying a dump trailer will be more useful and economical than keeping my rarely-used chip truck.

My favorite is using power down to load logs into a dump. Run the bed up to height, rig up to pull the ends of the logs up the slope, as close to the headboard as possible, then power the unit to the down position, this will lift some heavy, very awkward stuff onto a pretty high dump truck, as an example.

It can be done with a unit that's only powered up, which is the most common set up. The pump simply does the lifting, then the pressure is relived to drop the bed.

Sorry if I'm not very clear, there's a lot on my mind currently.

I think Lamar is usually powered down, but the down side is that it can overflow if it runs out of power before it's down. They seem to be good trailers, I don't think I have had one fail to dump even the heaviest of loads with a charged battery. Just don't do anything stupid with it like letting it dump a full load so high that chunks up front roll over the side and knock the doors off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What is the story on spilling hydraulic oil if out of juice?

How well do they charge by being plugged into the truck?

Are dump trailers normally an RV plug/ 7-round?

Regular round trailer plug. I think they can charge off the truck, but the one I used wasn't hooked up for that for some stupid reason.

If the battery is too dead to pump fluid, but charged enough to open a valve, the cylinder can over fill one side of the reservoir. Stupid design in my opinion. I guess I'd prefer the ones that go down without the pump running.

What is the story on spilling hydraulic oil if out of juice?

How well do they charge by being plugged into the truck?

Are dump trailers normally an RV plug/ 7-round?
7 pin or blade.
You can basically trickle charge the battery while it's hooked to the truck as an "accessory".
My older trucks have a 30 amp mini fuse that will trip if you have a dead battery in the trailer and the pump tries to draw from the truck battery. Newer trucks often have it ass part of a trailer package linked to the fuse box under the hood or such.

I don’t know this brand. But I solved the dead battery issue by running heavy welding cable back to the rear bumper and used welding lead connectors. Then had a short whip to the pump. Time to dump, plug it in and power away. Worked slick as can be.

The solar trickle chargers are probably not worth it. They may help maintain a charge, but don't expect it to charge enough for an extra dump at the end of the day or week. It's just another thing to get broken too.

Welding cable from your trucks battery to the pump on the dump is the way to go. You’ll never have to worry about not being able to dump the trailer.

Back