What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

Thats my Mexican food California story.

Here is mine.

In 2005 ( I think) I flew to Pasadena for the American Association of Woodturner's big yearly seminar/conference/something.
As always, I made my first stop after the airport REI.
Once I'd finished shopping, I asked the girls and guys manning the counters if there was a good eating place near by.
Yup, mexican diner on the other side of the street.
Turned out to be a somewhat heavyset ( A more unkind person would probably use the word "Fat") Mexican grandmother who had a tiny establishment with something like 3 cafe tables and chairs.
She was a wonderful cook. Simple mex stuff, but all homemade.
I've eaten at Colibri in San Francisco 3 times, but that meal still stands out as the one I measure all Mexican food against.

I made falafel today.

Have always had a hard time keeping the patties from disintegrating when deep frying.
So last sunday some young cook wrote in my paper that she simply used the waffle maker.

Give that woman a Nobel price for cooking!
It works perfectly.
Of course you don't get lil' balls or patties, but waffles, but once they are stuffed in a pita bread with some salad and slathered with Tahin sauce, who can tell.

This is going to turn into a weekly thing in this household.
Both the mail order bride and I have a thing for falafel, because of our time spent in Israel.

Stig, I'm gonna check out Colibri.

DID SOMEONE say woodfiredpizza!

Tonight's weber brings us.....16 minute pizza and 4 hour short ribs....and potatoes and asparagus.

8796cb21b9a69a2cae82dad244a61351.jpg

Is that pizza in a cast iron pan? Is that a thing?

Thats the coolest thing I have ever seen. I just showed it to my wife!

You just amazed the crap outta two bumpkins. I might have to put the top back on that can of Beenie Weenies and try that.

Ribs look good too. How do you prepare them? Rub? Sauce?

I don't know if it's a thing.

I've wanted to build a pizza oven in the back but then thought, the weber is easier....I already love grilling and thought pizza while I'm waiting for grilling and drinking beer.

Note....easy to burn bottom of pizza because cast iron stays hot for a little while...after you take it off. Also I put mine right over the coals because that's all the room I had.....didn't wanna put my ribs over direct coals.....

Dry rub some salt and pepper......basic. The fat leaches through the meat. If I was gonna go 5 hours or more I'd use a "moistener" like bbq sauce to keep the meat moist.......I've had beers.

I love cast iron. Best thing for car camping......

Thats great Deva. Thanks for taking the time to explain to me.

I love simply done meat. I try to buy good meat, local stuff. When I go to a restaurant I always order a steak plain, if I cant eat a steak with nothing more than salt and pepper, it aint worth eating.

Once in a while its fun to use sauces and fancy stuff, but mostly I love it simple.

I am going to amaze my family and friends with charcoal pizza. I will make sure to give you credit!

I do a lot of veggies in cast iron on our gas grill. Butter and a little salt and pepper. All known vegetables taste good like that.

I have to tell you about my lunch.

I recently came into some cheese from another country. Some spectacular Blue and some of the world's best Gruyere.

We also had a wedge of Roquefort in the fridge that I had El-wifeo make some dressing out of. Its kind of cool, it is the recipe that was so popular here about 50 years ago,uyere from an old steak house.

They stopped importing Roquefort so everyone switched to Blue. Too bad because Roquefort has a strong flavor that I like.

Anyway, I have been eating up the Gruyere by shredding it with some extra sharp cheddar and making grilled cheese sandwiches. I put a little seasoning salt on it and then mix up the cheese.

I had two of those and made a Roquefort dressing sandwich for dessert! I love cheese!

It wasnt quite vegan, but it was a vegetarian lunch.

Jim just remember that you might grow weak or dizzy from eating that way. Keep a nice t-bone handy just in case you develope those symptoms. "Eat it raw if you have to":lol:

Jim, you would love it here, I bet it's man bun capital! There is some damn good food around though. Funny how that goes...

I had pizza for dinner: bacon, pepperoni, prawns, tomato, basil.

I'm here mainly to declare that Ramen is effing awesome. I had some in town a few weeks ago and I cant stop thinking about it. Its a thick gelatinous pork broth with noodles, roast pork, garlic, soft boiled egg, vegies etc.
Tonkotsu_02_Ramen.jpg

Jim, have you ever tried Limburger? Supposed to taste better than it smells. I think I might have to stop at the store and get some Gorgonzola to put on some garlic bread.