Well i'm trying my hand

hahahha...my God...between Stephen's music and Andy's phonetic vernacular schizoid rant...I jez aboot caint takes it. :lol:

That crank and bearing look familiar. I'm thinking we're due for an update. :/:

I've got to hand it to Andy , he's a quick study in ebonics or whatever that ghetto slang is called .Missed his calling it appears he should have been a linguist .

Wow, we sure strayed on this by going from porting to camera settings.:P:P

Everybody has to start somewhere with something. At least you are getting experience at cutting aluminum. It has been awhile since I ported a saw but basically you do the same thing to the intake port to mate it to the exhaust port. I hate to say this but all your doing is hogging out the side of the exhaust port.You are not going to gain anything as far as performance. You have to reconfigure the port itself by that I mean you have to get right next to the cylinder wall and change the shape of the port. Raising the top of the port increases rpm and compression. Widening the port on the sides increases torque. The intake port is just the opposite the botom of the port gets lowered for increased rpm because your using the piston skirt as a valve where as the exhaust port uses the top of the piston for a valve.

You could achieve the same effect your doing now grinding on the exhaust port by just opening up your muffler exhaust port instead of hogging out the side of the port. At least that what it looks like from the pic even though it is blurry.

I know this is your first attempt at porting but if you ever get serious clamshell engines are a poor choice if you alter an engine for increased rpm and torque. The bottom end on a clamshell is not built as good or as heavy as a vertical split crankcase on a pro saw. The clamshell saw would run don't get me wrong but it wouldn't be long before it will trashed either by bearing failure , con rod or crank failure.

So how far have you come on this little project. Almost done????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
here are a picture of the cylinder with the kodak camera i got. i need to take it to the camera store and have the screen fixed or something.but here is the picture.

Poulan 295 cylinder 006.jpg

and thats afther i put it back together to use today on a tree call i got from the storm last night

Lots of meat left to take out on the inside of that port, towards the cylinder, and it needs some polish work. I don't resign with the polish to a glass finish, I like it a little rough, but not gouged out like that.
Learn to gently "pet" the material with the grinder, rather than just dig in and gouge it. It takes a lot of practice, but is worth it in the end.

and thats afther i put it back together to use today on a tree call i got from the storm last night
DH make some money with this saw while you can:D
If you really like Poulans then save your money and find yourself a good used Poulan 5400 [85cc] or a Poulan Pro 655 [100cc] and I'll show you how to make some real power:O

Willard.

ok i'll use this one untill i save enough money to get one of them saws.but i'm still learning on the grinding and i'll polish it when i figure out which bit does that.but i'll got back over it and see if i can clean it up some more on the corners.

The PP655's are almost impossible to find, They are actually a Pioneer/Partner saw rebadged as a Pooplaun.

You can keep practicing on these little homeowner saws. One of these days just step up to a 70cc Pro saw with a DP uffler or a muffler mod. You'll never llok back. All the money you've spent on all the saws and tools to port these saws that won't turn out to much... you could have already had a used 372XP or an 044.

Gary

yea i got to thinking about that today.but when i get a other high paying tree job i'll get a 371 or a 373xp husky and a 044 parts stihl saw and build it from ground up.

Dude... are ya not listening?

Forget the crappy "parts" saws and step up and buy a friggin' saw. There are 372XP's and 044's in decent shape that are running and useable for around $350 bucks. You're overcomplicating things by tryin' to save a buck on shitty saws...

To be honest, you could sell all the stuff you have and get a decent Pro saw right now.

Gary

If he gets a better and expensive saw... he won't have to do any of these "mods".

Unless he's modifying these little homeowner saws for fun. But it sounds like he's tryin' to get these little saws up to par with Pro saws for work.

Gary

Gary the last 2 PP 655 I passed on were runners and $200 a peice. Just not what I am buying at the moment, I guess I could have flipped them.

ported clamshell wild thing for FUN by AH

That is awesome Cut. I am surprized you got that much out of that saw. I have ran into a few of those types of saws but never did anything with them except to get them running and resell them. You must have have really opened that saw up for the porting of the cylinder to get those kind of RPM's, plus the pipe and that chain is really sharp. Looks like you changed out the carb along with the filter.

What is that little bugger turning out on the high end?? Sounds like about 14 to 15 thou. rpm.

Not me. Some guy that hangs out over on my site posted it, lives west of me a few states. Lot of guys had some kind of poulan wild thing build off and this was one of them.

Brian Timberwolf built one that ran NOS many years ago.

Timberwolf wild thing

Attachments

• timberwolf poulan.jpg
    timberwolf poulan.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 7
Oh to be quite truthful about it ,people just soup 46 cc Poulans as a past time . Kind of a challange to see what you can make them do .It's not as simple as say a removable cylinder design .Now I doubt seriously if you did souper douper one up if the thing would last very long .They don't have enough carb in stock form to really get them to do much .You get them breathing good and they over run the carb because it just can't pump that much fuel .

Sears sold a zillion of them .They pop up at garage sales for pennies or people just give them away .My two were actually freebies .One actually did about a three year stint as a climbing saw because it was all the guy could afford at the time .A little tumble from 40 feet up kinda retired it ,broke every shock mount on it .Residing currently in the dead pile in the shed and may for the foreseeable future unless I get bored .

If he gets a better and expensive saw... he won't have to do any of these "mods".

Unless he's modifying these little homeowner saws for fun. But it sounds like he's tryin' to get these little saws up to par with Pro saws for work.

Gary

i'm just doin these mods for shizzles and giggles. i am looking for a 372 xp or a 044 right now. i found a 372xp last night for 150.00 that was burnt up.so i past on it and kept on looking for a good used one.

Back