TreeStuff - APTA - Wow!

A 12-oz was floppy in my APTA. Perhaps I didn't pack it sufficiently. Didn't fire very far at all, even at 100 PSI.

My pump was $30. 160 max psi. I think that is enough for the trees out here :) Fired over the top of the Queens giant again yesterday so all good. (14 oz 150 psi)

Any way to utilize a reusable "wad" like a shotgun to gain performance?

Though someone was trying that, but don't remember for sure.

Crossed my mind so I could try a Throwpod in it.

3476.jpg

But so far has worked fine with a std bag.

12 oz weaver, definitely broken in. Ring end down, no wadding, no poke stick. I put mine in the end of the barrel and tap the butt of the APTA on the ground or my boot's safety toe. I listen and feel for the bag to get to the bottom of the barrel.

The wadding that Bonner used, IIRC, was closed cell foam cut into a disc.

I bought a Schwinn 160 psi floor pump for ~$27 at Target, http://www.target.com/p/schwinn-ez-...6600510#prodSlot=medium_1_4&term=schwinn+pump

You guys need the TechMasters exhaust trigger valve IMO.

Brilliant bit of pneumatic engineering.

Think of a ball bearing trapped inside a sliding piston valve. Apply pressure to the fill stem and it channels air to the bearing piston's right side, causing it to slam the piston to the left, blocking the barrel chamber, and opening the tank feed line till desired psi's reached.

Simply squeezing the exhaust valve, channels tank pressure to the left side of the bearing in the piston, causing to slam the piston right, opening the barrel to direct tank pressure quite suddenly, until filling again on the stem side reverses piston travel again. The bearing only travels about half an inch inside the piston valve. Works on the inertia principle, making a distinct popping sound as it slides into place, both filling and firing it.

If Bonner hadn't talked smack about me?

I'd send it to him to copy at no charge!

Karma bites again!

Jomo

Any way to utilize a reusable "wad" like a shotgun to gain performance?

It would be easy enough to do but I don't think that most APTA users would get enough improvement to make it worth while.

In testing one of Nick's earlier models that had a longer barrel, with a 12oz bag and 200' of 1.75 zing-it tied to my throw cube, when shot straight up it yanked the throw cube 10 to 15 feet into the air. I don't really remember what the psi was but my pump only goes to 160.

Speaking of pumps, I have been using a Topeak Sprint for about two years and it still works fine. Heat is a big pump killer. You can quickly destroy a bike pump by hammering on it hard and fast.

You guys need the TechMasters exhaust trigger valve ....opening the barrel to direct tank pressure quite suddenly.....

Sounds interesting, Jomo. Pneumatic launchers have been around now for some time. The use of a variety of fast opening valves have been tried and found to work well, except with heavy soft weights. Too much air force applied too fast can break the seal and escape out the barrel before the weight has a chance to fully accelerate.

The new butterfly valve, as simple and as crude as it is in comparison to the high tech valves, actually works very well.

All Bonner needs to do is apologize for talkin smack and I'll ship my TechMasters exhaust valve trigger to him no charge.

Easy peasy?

Jomo

Speaking of BATF concerns, in Bonners original thread where he made up the steel (APTA?) or line launcher, he put up several pages of govt documents that showed the APTA to be legal. I suspect that anyone wanting to preserve that legality in city limits etc would not refer to it as 'shooting' etc.

Think I saved those pages somewhere in my computer to print them out and keep them with my APTA. If only I knew how to access them....

I live in an area where I could easily be talked to by a cop that would want to make it a big deal and those pages would be invaluable in that situation.

Ever seen the plastic wadding that holds the bb's inside a 12 gauge shell?

Something along those lines to slide your throw bag into to form a more effective seal inside two inch barrel piping?

Jomo

I just came home from the local bike shop with an AirTool HP. 180 psi. $49. Probably cheaper options but I'm lazy. I mean, I got an APTA after all.

Played in the yard with it briefly. 42 pumps to get 180 psi, which propelled a 14 oz weight with no throwline attached, straight up ~ 110-115', which is good enough for these parts.

06e59d2f1528315c769fb409f2a5726f.jpg

Benn, is that going more for a lob than a line-drive shot, at 1/1? Are you punching through at that psi, or just dropping it over the target limb? How many ounces and what diameter line? Thanks.

I was using a Harrison 14 oz, which was a snug fit and not as aerodynamic as a Weaver premium. Maybe that's why? Or maybe the pressure gage is off. Shooting nearly straight up. No throwline connected - I was just trying it out for the first time, not setting up a climb. I'll try a few more shots tomorrow.

I use several. Weaver 12 is a rocket. Best one I've seen.
LOL @ Jomo Bonner topic.
Can't argue with Benn's advise to call him. Even if he can be a bit high strung. 😬

I got mine, too... took 'em awhile... ordered it at the end of November, Didn't get it until the third week of December. But, I got it. Pretty sweet.

APTA-1.JPG

Back