TreeStuff - APTA - Wow!

I met an old utility power line pole setter on the job many years ago, who saw me usin my pneumatic throw bag gun, and stopped to show me his Navy traverse line rifle.

It shot a steel bolt about a foot long whose line attached to a canister mounted below the rifle's barrel. Claimed it could shoot a line over a quarter mile with decent accuracy. Still I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the bow of the other ship he was aiming at!

Kinda like this one, but with a longer barrel.

http://youtu.be/vn3nz9z9-h0

Jomo

The valve trigger's on the uppermost right side, activated by squeezing it between thumb n forefinger.

Made over 20 years ago for me by Greg Masters of TechMasters Inc, who also built one with a 3 foot barrel for John Hendricksen, and mentioned by Blair in his Arborists Tools book way back when.

Jomo

The valve trigger's on the uppermost right side, activated by squeezing it between thumb n forefinger.

Made over 20 years ago for me by Greg Masters of TechMasters Inc, who also built one with a 3 foot barrel for John Hendricksen, and mentioned by Blair in his Arborists Tools book way back when.

Jomo

I see it there, but what is it and how does it work?

It's an off the shelf Schrader bellows valve with a half inch throw trigger, thumb activated. The actual sliding piston valve that throws open the airway to full chamber pressure, was custom made by Greg, who told me it worked a bit like a double flapper valve on a toilet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schrader-Be...ller-Spool-Valve-Grainger-3A314-/251908560640

I generally aim a foot or two below the crotch I want to go through, to compensate for the recoil, which is substantial with a 16 oz bag at 165 psi.

Jomo

But $199?...though seems safer and more accurate than the big shot.

Frans said he made one for $30 bucks. But it's probably pretty brute...

Anyhoo. That grease bag gun looks sick, Jomo.

The APTA is still the best by far. Made for tree work, quite, light weight, fits well with our other gear and is super simple and accurate.

It's an off the shelf Schrader bellows valve with a half inch throw trigger, thumb activated. The actual sliding piston valve that throws open the airway to full chamber pressure, was custom made by Greg, who told me it worked a bit like a double flapper valve on a toilet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schrader-Be...ller-Spool-Valve-Grainger-3A314-/251908560640

I generally aim a foot or two below the crotch I want to go through, to compensate for the recoil, which is substantial with a 16 oz bag at 165 psi.

Jomo

I've never heard of a double flapper valve for a toilet. Well, shoot. . . if Greg custom modified it, it sounds like I won't be able to just go buy one. What height are you getting with 165 lbs?

Having the fill stem located on the end of the gun's an ill conceived and potentially dangerous design flaw for the APTA, IMO.

Just a matter of time before its vulnerable location causes problems. Trigger mechs not conducive to accurate shootin either.

Price is pretty dang good though.

I can hit 120 ft at 165 psi. I charge it with a portable CO2 bottle and stainless steel mesh high pressure air hose off the regulator.

I use a big shot about 98% of the time though, much quicker easier quieter and far less conspicuous on the job.

Jomo

But $199?...though seems safer and more accurate than the big shot.

Frans said he made one for $30 bucks. But it's probably pretty brute...

Anyhoo. That grease bag gun looks sick, Jomo.

You can definitely make one cheaper than buy one through a retailer. Bonner offered design plans up initially, before TS picked it up.

I bought mine to support the innovator.

Haven't touched my Big Shot since.

I broke my handle (my fault), but haven't replace it. NBD. Shoots the same for me.

Buy a butterfly valve, rather than the ball valve, which they are offering now through TS, whether you buy commercially or build. They say its better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is....the butterfly valve is smoother/easier to operate. I had the ball valve and replaced it with the b'fly valve from TreeStuff. I only use the APTA now...my homemade BS is "out to pasture" now.

Like most designs the APTA is a compromise. Some of the early prototypes with longer barrels and chambers would exceed a foot of altitude per pound of chamber pressure. But because most tree workers are not setting lines in redwoods, a more practical overall length was chosen.

Also the benefits of using air, is a cheap bicycle pump works just fine, the power cycle does not change over time or temperature. That last part is especially important for anyone working in a cold climate. The Big Shot can be a total wimp at below freezing temperatures.

Back