The RIP Thread...

Very unfortunate for all parties involved. Young man broke the rules getting out of car and paid the ultimate price. Stewart has to live with killing another driver while doing his favorite activity.

There is far too much malicious speculation surrounding this incident. Seriously, Can you imagine any tree guy intentionally killing someone at work because we had a small and normal congrontation?

As for you question Jay, it's hard to tell, but passing on the outside, on a dirt track, in a corner is not always the smartest way to gain position and open wheel crivers normally make efforts to keep their wheels away from others as much as possible as there is a grave danger of going airborn. It seems a young driver got himself into a tight spot he couldn't drive out of and hit the wall....all normal part of racing.

You dont get out of your car and wander around a race track during a race, period. Most race levels have stewards that will grab and remove a driver from the track after an incident, they may be delusional, out of sorts, semi conscious or in shock after a crash, letting them wander around a race track is inexcusable and has deadly consequences.
I dont believe for an instant that ANY driver would put another driver at risk to teach him a lesson or otherwise, no matter how much of an asshole (meaning aggressive and successful) driver they are they are not out to kill intentionally. Tony will have nightmares for the rest of his life thinking about what happened, I also disagree with the term and news that he 'killed' the other driver. The other driver died but it was a consequence of a series of actions, and IMHO not a malicious, single sided set of actions.
Let the other guy RIP, and every other weekend warrior learn that if you race with pros and you get squeezed out, suck it up and learn, dont get out and try to vindicate your lack of skills and or experience.

Pros get into it with each other as well when they don't like what happened on the track. I don't see some of those pro tirades as so different from what a weekend warrior might do. See the one here where Stewart threw his helmet at an approaching car, not the first time and before when on the track after exiting his car. What happened on the track with the pros seems similar to the young guy being forced into the wall, but Stewat was on the receiving end getting squeezed in the vid. Racing has never been a ladies tea party, but Stewrt appears to have kicked up the aggression in the sport with his behavior. If he hadn't been a winner, the criticism would be much louder.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wwc8obMmv7o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jay, The number of drivers who have intensionally spun out a competitor, thrown a punch after a race, thrown helmet, or threatened another driver is probaly larger than those who have not. There have been several incidents in Nascar (not involving Mr. Stewart) where a # of fans have been injured because of drivers intentionally crashing a competitor at high speed risking a number of lives (Carl Edwards).

Many who are considered "gentleman drivers" and heroes of the sport at the later stages of their careers were quite dangerous and "dirty" drivers when younger (Jeff gordon)...it's how they made their name....some have not changed/matured (Busch Brothers), some have. Some of the younger drivers who use to be gentlemanly got tired of getting pushed around on the track and started fighting back causing accidents/injuries, or after race fights (Logano).

I think your totally off base claiming Tony Stewart has "kicked up the aggression in the sport". He is just one of many drivers and most certainly not the worst when it comes to sportsmanship (that could arguably be Earnhart Sr. or Darell Waltrip among others). If you've followed Nascar over the years you would realize it is a much tamer sport than in years past...Check out some of the greats of yesteryear ie Earnhart, Wallace, Waltrip, Allison, etc.

I've lived next to a short track for 46 years, gone to and watched races my entire life, and worked there for several years. My younger brother was a driver for several years untiul he passed away as was my Uncle. Fights in the pits, over real or percieved wrongs, after the race were a regular spectacle.

Re-posting videos of someone losing their temper in the heat of the moment does nothing positive for this tragic situation in my opinion.

I respect your opinion, Dave, and your experience. I apologize if the vid offended you. It was an attempt to show that being aggressive and making unwise decisions, is not limited to amateur tracks and inexperienced racers. You say so much yourself. Yeah, i was reading many drivers saying that they have to stand up for themselves out on the track, including Danica Patrick, hence the pretty frequent aggressive behavior. Some are better, some are worse, I don't think is so much the point. Having a fit with another driver because he did something that you don't like, then you doing it yourself to somebody else, does not seem very sportsmanlike, unless it is just expected of good ol' boys. Vids show that things definitely can get out of hand. It doesn't seem too hard to possibly kill or seriously injure someone unintentionally, simply by giving some pay back. No point to it really, just saying..

ha, I'm certainly not offended. :D

My biggest point was about your comment on Stewart picking up the aggression in the sport. He is actually one of those who has mellowed a bit with age and experience.

Racing, for good or bad, is a high speed contact sport. Tempers get lost. Bad things happen.

Race promotors and track owners tread a fine line between keeping things safe and letting the crowd see an exciting race. Sometimes it takes a tragic incedent to bolster the safety side of the argument.

Maybe with this latest terrible mishap they will knuckle down hard on drivers staying in a disabled car until Safety crews arrive (already a rule, but not attached to large fines/penalties).

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/becWr0vc6cA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for a lot of great music, Jack!

His old fling with heroin may not have killed him, but it probably didn't help. It seems like all the great rock and perhaps jazz musicians used that shit at one time or another. Maybe Jack should have stayed with playing the cello, for which he apparently also had quite a talent when young.

It seems all the music I like to listen to was written or performed on Heroin or cocaine. Are we enabling them by buying the records?

Shit, your in good shape Butch. 71 should be fine. My grandmother is 104. It would have been merciful if she had not lived her last six or seven years.

Back