The Official Work Pictures Thread

RD, you say "generally" when speaking about combined weight. Whats the actual law on trailer weight and CDL? Around here we have to have a CDL if the trailer is over 10K regardless of combined weight. Im asking because Im curious. Im learning a lot lately about road rules in PA, and am curious if we are more strict or relaxed then elsewhere. Surely you guys have a defined trailer weight that needs a CDL to pull it. Maybe not though?

I think CDL regs are federal. I have to get mine shortly. Ive considered getting one and hauling logs during the winter to pass the time. Loggers are always in short supply of someone to jump in their truck and move wood. Since the gas boom here, the guys that drive truck, but want to stay close to home, all went to work for the gas industry.

Everyone I've talked too has said that if the combo isn't above 26k, no cdl is required. For Ohio and KY are the two I know off. Haven't seen the actual law on it, but had on officer tell me, and various people from KY and Ohio tell me.

"When do I need a CDL?
1.A Class A CDL License is required when the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Ratings (GCVWR) of the truck and trailer totals 26,001 or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
2.A Class B CDL License is required for any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.
3. A Class C CDL License is required for any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.

One of the most misunderstood parts of the above requirements has to do with trailers with a GVWR in excess of 10,000 pounds when the combined GVWR does not exceed 26,000 pounds. In this case a CDL is NOT required provided you are not placarded for hazardous materials. However individual states may impose a requirement that drivers in their states must have a CDL in this situation so you need to check the requirements in your state. It is also important to note that individual state CDL licensing requirements CAN NOT be applied to drivers from other states."

Fwiw I just took my physical and the multi choice test for the CDL. Neither were a big deal, if you can read and comprehend what you read you will have no problem. I got 3 out of 75 questions wrong, you need 80%.

Now I just have to figure out whos truck to take it in because it aint going to be mine...... Ive heard horror stories about the inspections they put them through and have personally seen nice new looking trucks being towed fro the test lot........

Here is our easter cottonwood removal project.

Went really well. just bombing everything that wasn't over buildings and having the forwarder clean up worked real fine.

We were going to have one of the companies that makes chips for powerplants chip the waste, but on the last day the janitor at the school asked if he could buy the firewood.

So we separated it in a firewood pile and a pile that will just be trucked away.

He paid $1000 for that pile of cottonwood and went away happy.

There is one born every minute, I tell ya:lol:

P1020631.JPG P1020713.JPG P1020711.JPG P1020706.JPG P1020678.JPG P1020672.JPG P1020660.JPG P1020656.JPG P1020641.JPG P1020634.JPG P1020714.JPG

A grand? Damn that's a score...for you of course. Hey if he wants anymore give him my number. He has to cover shipping though. Nice pic and some good size chunkin going on.

Yeah, seeing a forwarder unleashed on a little treejob is a cool thing.

Stig is it flat where you live and work? Ive spent time working with a Rottne around me and its mountain country here. They flip easy. Not so much on hills but if that log bunk pivots too much going over a big rock or stump, well, it goes right on its side. Do you run into those issues in your woods? maybe that's a dumb question. Hell, you can flip a skidder on level ground.

That forwarder is pretty sweet!

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SDySUg5MW8c?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SDySUg5MW8c?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

WOW! Generally speaking we would use a crane to move something like that, then an excavator to get it off. Although a friend of mine that I give firewood to loves using his forklift to take logs off the trailer..

IMG_20130306_115018-1.jpg

IMG_20130306_121641.jpg

IMG_20130306_122248-1.jpg

IMG_20130306_121711-1.jpg

Dang Carl! I'll bet is someone horsed that oak log on fast and rough it could have rolled into that far side hard enough to flip that trailer. That log could have owned that trailer. Nice work.

Yeah my concern was hitting the other side hard enough to bend it. To put that log's weight in context, it weighs as much as a long bed 2013 Chevy Crew Cab 4x4 LTZ 2500 with a gas engine.

Man Carl, that gehl is really impressive! That log was big!

Here are some pictures of one we did today. We did a bunch of trees at this house (this one being the worst). This one had me a little nervous but it went smooth, I am glad I was able to tie into the tree behind me.
IMG_1919.jpg IMG_1920.jpg IMG_1921.jpg IMG_1924.jpg

Back