The Official Work Pictures Thread

It looks like a running bowline cinched with the tail of the rope pulled up and tied onto the bowline side. That way after he makes the traverse he can pull the bowline open and over to him to untie it. Just a guess...

Nice job.:)

I'm done doing palms, I've said it before but after this last week that's it.

All that is missing is an Asian Miner bird nest and lice.

attachment.php

It looks like a running bowline cinched with the tail of the rope pulled up and tied onto the bowline side. That way after he makes the traverse he can pull the bowline open and over to him to untie it. Just a guess...

exactly Nick.

Jamie looks like a member of Al Qaeda at an oasis.

i have been told i have a resemblance to the late osama bin laden:big-no:

Do you use a separate line to do the traverse?

the first one i did with the tail of my line, but after finding the hawks nest and angry mother i realized that i wouldn't be able to make an emergency descent with the tail of my rope locked up. after that i used a separate line.

Nice photos man!

Few from today. First half of the day was wrecking 7 London Plane trees, we called in a crane since there was a phone wire in the way. Had all 7 out in a little over 2 hours, everything cleaned up in another 1-2, including two trips hauling away wood. All in all a pretty awesome first half of the day!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364683238.354862.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364683257.619053.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364683282.755808.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364683298.712851.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364683357.695441.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364683411.513945.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364683429.896985.jpg

Second to last photo impressed me, 26" at the butt, 19" at the tip I think, grabbed it closer to the end and it handled it pretty well. Also the biggest load of wood that trailer has seen so far. The 5 ton hoist struggled a bit dumping it haha!

It was a helluva combo man! The gehl made quick work of everything. It moved wood, chipped brush, and even raked it all up! Slapped the 6' broom on and swept it all in a pile, came back with the blower to finish up and presto, one clean lot in under 10 minutes

Adrian, I'm guessing 20 ton on the crane. Seems pretty big for those trees and being able to get up close, but mere speculation. Maybe you needed the length to get them over the wires? Nice job, son.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was way more crane then was needed for that tree. Couldn't you have used a smaller, less expensive crane? I don't like all the space it needed just to set up.

45 ton crane. One company with a 25 ton wouldn't rent it too us, they said they only rent out a 40 ton for tree work. The guys we used are great, the smallest they run is a 38 ton. Their price isn't bad at all, actually pretty cheap. $135/hr, 3 hr minimum. The first company we called wanted $850 for a 4hr minimum for their 40 ton rig.

The company we used does all the tree crane work around town, he was super smooth and had no trouble at all with me riding the ball.

Nick, I'll see what I can dig up and film some new shots when we use it next for you. Carl might film Scott's rake in action also for ya.

20 ton? 3 axles? I figured 40 ton right away especially with the becket. The 20 ton we have used has a teeny becket. I have worked the ground for the 40 a lot but got to do my first climb with it the other day. It was a long reach and I got taken higher up on the ball than ever before!

You're right about the axles and becket, Nick, my bad. I was just guessing by the boom. Our cranes are a completely different style, driven and operated from the same cab, until you get into the considerably larger affairs. Most like that are ancient and not around anymore in these parts, though on occasion you might still see a five or ten ton that is hanging in there, where there are two cabs. New cranes seem to be going more towards more subtle type designs, very curvilinear cool looking. Competition seems to drive forward new designs, as cranes are very common about everywhere where construction takes place. In the larger town over from me, there are at least four outfits with large fleets, and that doesn't include the independents with one or a couple cranes. You can pretty much always find an available crane if it isn't for tree work. :lol:

Cool pics Adrian.... :) Love that loader :)

Here's our pig of the day.. started on it. Was asked to reschedule. Came back... Rob is doing the chipping tomorrow. HO changed the job 3X while I was rigging down chunks. Going to fell the last 20 foot after a fence panel is removed instead of leaving 10 or 12 foot for carved totem..... Or 5 or....??:what:
So next week, its fire wood moved by the mini.... :P
Add ons...:|:

Little more of half o a 130-150 foot pondo... Speed lined into the neighbors back yard over the fence and such... Swung the nuggets over the fence as well....

Attachments

• IMG_20130330_135802.jpg
    IMG_20130330_135802.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20130316_104847.jpg
    IMG_20130316_104847.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20130316_104901.jpg
    IMG_20130316_104901.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20130316_112640.jpg
    IMG_20130316_112640.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20130330_095003.jpg
    IMG_20130330_095003.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20130330_122754.jpg
    IMG_20130330_122754.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 74
Weight compliance is a big deal anymore in my neck of the woods. I am in natural gas land, and the heavy truck traffic is like nothing most men have ever seen. Sooooo, the police depts. have capitalized on this and bought a lot of scales and sent officers to DOT school for training. They hunt for heavy loads. You'd be better off with drugs in your truck then extra logs nowadays.

Job could have been much easier had the neighbors talked to one another and came up with the plan they did at 6PM yesterday. NOW they are willing to take the fence down. One neighbor (the client) decided not to inconvenience the neighbor any more than we already were by deciding the fence should stay up. :|: Rob was talking to them both at the end of the day once we were down to 20 foot of spar and I had come down since the plan kept changing. Rob mentioned how much easier, or the fact the spar could be felled if the fence was not there. Neighbor says.... well lets just take a panel or two out.... See.. it's just screwed together at each post. I look at the client, saying... "you ok with that? seems your neighbor you were worried about is ok with that." Sure... lets take the fence down......... :roll:
It's ok. Wood all stays, client gave it to neighbor. We make it fire wood for extra money. I'll have the mini to move it. Scheduling the neighbors tree for a prune and another pine removal for the client. 8 foot between posts .... not a problem.....
A lot of targets Gary.... Client also wanted minimum material (almost none) to go through his back yard. All over to the neighbors.. Two pet graves, some fruit trees... interesting to say the least.
Nick... don't you be going and turning into one of those alcoholic drug addict tree men on us :lol:

Nice work.

Adrian, any concerns on being overweight on your GCVWR, needing a CDL for trailer over 10K?

Not really. It was a short ride to where I had to dump, and around here generally, if the combined truck and trailer weight isn't above 26k, then no CDL is required. So my dump trailer(12k gvw) and the 3500(11500 gvw) is only 23500 total.

Back