Well this is the climbing forum

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm halfway thru, it is actually hard to watch it is so insane.

OK, on the advise of my elders and betters, I watched it. So I'll throw my thoughts out there.

Two questions I always ponder in the skinny wood are: What kind of snow load did it see last year? And, What kind of wind load does it see in full leaf?

Most of the time, Those load factor estimates are lower than my skinny butt, so I tell myself it's fine, and so far it has been.

That said, it could be easy to develop a false sense of security in the strength of the wood, especially if it's compromised by an unnoticed fault or pathogen.

Also also, Beanie Bro (as KV called him) is a beast, so I suppose he can make funny sounds...

I also wondered about his knowledge of the size and species of the trees. He did mention however that the trees were stronger in summer at one point, perhaps recognizing the difference in flexibility between winter and summer.

Around here beech is very flexible. I'd have been nervous crossing into the oak. Big oak's strong. Little oak is harder for me to judge. Seems like it can go two ways, and I can't readily tell which.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I actually found that difficult to watch.

Pretty unnecessary. It is just a matter of time I fear before Tarzan meets the floor.
Gotta say I agree. The guy's spirit, athleticism, and grit are all remarkable, and he does things on his IG page that are amazing and hard to believe like jumping from limb to limb and tree to tree. But idk, I guess I'd like to hear more about his motivation since you can do much or most of what he's doing much more safely with ropes (but not for example jumping quickly from tree to tree to tree. I guess its like alot of extreme sports, you do it simply to show skill, ability, mental strength, and get the extreme shot of adrenaline as you are doing it and after you succeed, like walking a slack line untethered over a canyon.

#freesolo

Back