Climbing and Rigging in Critical-Risk Ash Trees

chris_girard

Treehouser
This is my latest rigging article that was published this past summer in TCI Mag and will also be published in Arb Climber Magazine.

When EAB first hit here in the US, climbers were getting killed due to the issues that I wrote about in the article.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I already had someone who should know better try to call me out saying that the way that I'm choked off on the stem in one of my photos is unsafe and I had to answer his letter to the editor.

I've used the ratchet strap trick a number of times. Nice to be validated by a true industry leader. I may not have ash here, but the principles do remain the same.

Interesting article, thank you. Do you find that eab killed ash fail like celery, or like a carrot? I'm seeing carrot-like failures, at least in long dead examples. We do a lot of dead ash removals, and they can be sketchy, even with the cranes.

Appreciate your hard work. It is very clear and easy to read! Similar threads are being offered to me by a TreeHouse algorithm. The two rigging articles you published in 2020 look interesting but I can’t link to them any more. Can you refresh the links? I don’t know anything about the internet. Haha.

I thought the EAB disseminated the native eastern Ash long ago.

Must still be a few small populations around, I guess.
That's what I would have thought when all this started , seems a slower moving pathogen than predicted ... still plenty Ash alive here for the time being and the Mills still buy Ash Logs. Last large one we fell (residential) did have it though ...

They were experimenting with maple for awhile. This was before EAB. I vaguely remember it having some positive aspects, but it was much more likely to break.

Back