The Official Work Pictures Thread

And when a customer waits until the tree is in absolutely terrible condition! Good job!

Yes they sure did! I brushed out and crown raised this property several years ago. That tree was 1/2 dead and in demise then. Recommended removal then while it was still climbable. Years later and plenty of planting of ornamentals... :lol:
I have to admit though, it is nice when you "know" the trees you are working on. Not walking in blind.

HO sent a couple pics and vids too. She got one of the dead pine I did out back. Lowered some limbs and witches broom off it so I could clear some oaks in the riparian zone and fit it into the LZ. Pretty much 1/2 and 1/2 ...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FHG8ipabg_g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0nfMzIDXv30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nothing too exciting. About a 30ft 18 inch norway maple by a deck and house. Also trimmed up a spruce that was touching the roof and a 50ft norway maple drop that needed some climbing to clear a garage.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vxZrQYxpNWs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think my yellow cart will be coming on all my jobs.

Good bless wheels, and the carrying capacity of the ground. I regularly train my guys to let the ground do as much work as practical.

IMG_1656.jpg
Did a couple more dead ash yesterday. A storm rolled in with the last top and I did a hybrid humbolt, bologna cut to get it to spike down between the understory trees. Ended up soaked but finished the job to get paid. Let the truck dry while we ate lunch and replaced the starter in the afternoon. I'm not a massive guy, but I can press close to 200 lbs. A 50 lb starter in one hand while trying to get a bolt started about wore me out.

I've noticed that, it's just that you're using muscles you never normally use.

Holding your head up under a vehicle gives me serious aches.

I took judo in elementary school and that was always a no-no, allowing your head to touch the mat.

Among other things, we'd lay flat on our backs and have to keep our chin touching onr chest - not the mat.

I've noticed that, it's just that you're using muscles you never normally use.

Holding your head up under a vehicle gives me serious aches.

Ha, that is so me!

Ive been working on my landcruiser for a week replacing tie rod ends and brake calipers and....... and my neck still hurts like the dickens

Worked for a nice older guy today at two houses. Hard working guy. Made a mess for him starting with two power line Norway spruce, topped repeatedly. He'll do the clean up and low pruning on the catalpa.

They've had the house in the family since the 80's. He's been annually maintaining the tree with an extension ladder as it was topped before they purchased it. Turned into a pollard.

Neighbors like it. Shower flowers. Huge leaves. Big seed pods..."Indian cigar tree" I think they call it.
IMG_20170501_133434418.jpg IMG_20170501_133424746.jpg IMG_20170501_175859132.jpg

Called the Indian runner bean tree in the UK.

That sort of pollarding is SOP, but how much time are you saving/money is he saving by not snipping the lower growth?

I'd have done it anyway.

They look nice in leaf, and the pollard heads can have a certain gothic charm, that's not a particularly good example.

There's no other conceivable way of keeping a tree like that in a small space.

Kinda like having a wife who looked good for half the year...

I guess if you squint your eyes

He's funny that way, about the low growth. I tried to get him to do it first. I just go with it. He'll be an annual winter pruning customer, maybe we'll do it all next time. We pulled out at 615p, as it was, rather than 6p, due to a delay in the morning with a truck (another thread).

I had to rig off a bit, get rid of a lot of deadwood (gravy work, and I couldn't stand to keep looking at it), and use a ladder in a couple places. All in all, about 3 hours work for two. It takes time to make lots of little cuts. Had to be careful, as its light wood, with a lot of leverage to get out to the end where I removed a big head near the house. Definite decay from longterm poor cuts. He was doing the typical landscaper prune style.

Pollards are funny looking, from a traditional American sense, especially if you live in Topping-ville. https://www.google.com/search?q=pol...UICigB&biw=1536&bih=759#imgrc=5GC3kwOvm8jKlM:

Tattoos, piercings, stretching/ plugs are funny looking too, from a traditional American sense.

Kinda like having a wife who looked good for half the year...

I guess if you squint your eyes

Have you looked around? At the risk of being a total ass, for much of the general population - trees or wives, looking good for half the year would be a major improvement.

Back