The Official Random Video Thread!

Good post,August. I think they waste your (our) time because they feel guilty about not wanting to hire us so they show more work to try to make us feel good about having a good appt with them.

This is exactly the point I was making Cory. You're a poet. The thing is they have guilt without genuine outgoing concern for others. I hate them. LOL.

You have to watch that that bitterness doesn't grow and turn into something ugly and twisted that you're carrying around. I never have like people much. Nearer the time I sold my business I was feeling resentful towards people before I'd even called them back or met them. I knew then it was time to make a change.

I have found that a degree of offishness, disdain and truculence can work in your favour when pricing.
Can put you in control.

Great stuff Mick, Cory, Sqish...all.
Totally agree Mick. Potential clients are like potential girlfriends. They like you more if you aren't desperate for them.
This forum is both a relief, and a little disconcerting to know that the other tree guys are clever.

Ha great post there, AH, Squish, and everyone. The Treehouse rocks, don't it???

Mik, that is very very interesting. Alright get this: I've noticed when I happen to get into great conversations with a potential client, you know, we're hitting it off re things in common whether it be hobbies, dogs, current events, whatever, the kind of conversation that makes you think, wow that was nice and this job is in the bag....I don't get the job, like 95% of the time. Now of course some of you are saying, duh, who would want to talk to Cory etc etc, but really, you know when you are having a good convo, its all good, and then... nada.

Last time it happened was about 3-4 weeks ago, little $750.00 job, guy wanted it done quickly due to a cracked tree. I noticed the guy had a canadian accent, we started talking about BC and trees and logs (he's in the bulk shipping biz, fyi it costs about $100k to ship a load of logs to china from north america), and the wilderness in canada, how it is so close to places like vancouver, and he had a family friend that was still climbing trees at 70, and this was when Reg's helo thread was heating up and we talked about helo logging which he had seen while camping out there etc etc. 35 min spent, last words were 'estimate looks fine, just have to run it by the neighbors'.......nada.

:/: :lol:

You have to watch that that bitterness doesn't grow and turn into something ugly and twisted that you're carrying around. I never have like people much. Nearer the time I sold my business I was feeling resentful towards people before I'd even called them back or met them.

This was awesome.

Cory, building what are generally considered high priced goods, I know all about pleasant conversations and then not getting the job. It seems like a family's entire history can get condensed into thirty-five minutes. People can really compartmentalise things, one part of their brain is talking about various matters in a congenial way that puts you at ease, but at the same time, another part of their brain is functioning like a bank of super computers, spitting out data on personal economics at a rate that a person such as yourself would find incomprehensible. I think it's how many humans have evolved since the great depression, and it's too easy to not to be aware of it to be mislead.

Yup. Well I'm am going to religiously avoid deep convos on appts from now on now that its been scientifically proven that it is a hex. I have a few proven customers whom I have great chats with, but otherwise, naaaah.

People can really compartmentalize things, one part of their brain is talking about various matters in a congenial way that puts you at ease, but at the same time, another part of their brain is functioning like a bank of super computers, spitting out data on personal economics at a rate that a person such as yourself would find incomprehensible.

Well put....definitely does happen and can be hard to know when you are in the middle of it.

Occasionally my wife will accompany me on quotes if we're on our way to somewhere else.

Trouble is she's very friendly and chatty and if the client sees her they often engage her in conversation, get her out of the car, tour of the property etc (if they're Brits) so we have a nice friendly visit/chat and rarely get the job.

These days I drop her off nearby, leave her hiding in the bushes somewhere, go back and pick her up afterwards.

I thought I was the only one who could do this!

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H_hDvnM_xao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back