TCIA Expo

You guys going for the conferences or just for the trade show?

Im not planning to go, but may have to cover someone else's spot at the last minute.

If you do plan to attend some seminars, be sure to check out "One Company’s Journey to Limit Property Damage and Injury" by Jill Kelby

It will be specifically about the redwood. Not about logging per-say. More about the trees themselves and their habitat. Of which I have spent a life career working in, studying and recording. So many things will be presented about the trees in details that have never been presented before.

Considering my background some people will automatically think its going to be slighted with opinion throughout. And I do state some opinion, but my aim with the book is to be as fair and accurate as I can with the issues. It has been a work in progress for over 40 years.

This book is titled, Coast Redwood, Tree of Dreams and Fortune. It will debut at TCI next year.

Awesome Jer, look forward to seeing you there next year and reading your new book.

I too won't be able to make it to this year's Expo.

Charlotte, NC. Nov. 14-16, 2013. Coincidently, that's where Jer launched THE FUNDAMENTALS OF GENERAL TREEWORK.

I can make coffee tables for the book to go on. Tables also forty years in the making...even longer if I add jr. high wood shop. Did anyone say a Redwood coffee table? I believe the most awesome piece of wood that I have ever seen was a Redwood burl. It was a funky table that someone made, but the wood was out of this world.

Redwood burl is pretty awesome. Beautiful grain, but so soft it makes for poor furniture and wear surfaces. Most people that make tables out of it apply a thick finish of clear epoxy. Kind of funky, but it's about the only way to keep the wood from denting and staining from liquids.

natural finish is awesome, but not long lasting.

Softness could be a problem. One thing though, good furniture isn't much something that should get scratched or dented with the careful use it deserves. Cups and glasses always on saucers or a coaster, and lift up don't slide. :X It isn't a perfect world, however, especially when young children are around. Softness is asking for it to be damaged. That thick finish that you mention, Jerry, is indeed pretty bad.

Back