Micro Rigging Line?

To be clear, I mean if the rope is stationary relative to the capstan, not sliding on it.

I would think that the sliding rope would be more abrasive. I suppose that the rope is not truly stationary relative to the drum at all times.

I've hardly even used my capstan, so my experience with it is super-limited, almost non-existent. I got my mini-loader not long after the chainsaw powerhead-powered Simpson capstan.

On my portable winch, you can see where the 1/2" has worn it some. A smaller line would cause more wear. When winching loads, there is always some slippage if the load stalls by hitting something or digging in. Even if you set a high block. I cut specifically for what the winch will handle. It often works out that it winches what the mini will handle. Thats about 800# max.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ordered a spool of ⅜" stablebraid. Dunno when I'll get it, cause it's OOS, but $321 shipped. Through tomorrow wesspur has 20% off rigging with the code "RIGIT". Some exclusions apply, but it's a good time to buy rope.

This is just idle curiosity: How does 3/8 Tenex work as a light lowering line? I appreciate how easy it is to splice. If a terminal eye splice got damaged at the jobsite, a worker could splice a new one right there. It seems mostly to get used for slings — not as a bull-rope. Probably a good reason for that. I am trying to guess the reason. Less prone to picking? Help me understand please.
Edit: I just checked Wesspur. They are out of stock of full reels of both 3/8 StableBraid and 3/8 Tenex. The Tenex is $70 less per reel. Checked Samson website. The uncoated Tenex is 3 pounds lighter for 600 feet and 600# greater MBS.

Last edited:
less picking and double braid is cheaper around here, the couple of times where i damaged the line at the splice i just continued with knot‘s… it is probably more of an issue with dyneema where knot‘s will slip so jobsite-splicing is required… winchlines ..

less picking and double braid is cheaper around here
Makes sense to me!
I just posted the statistics on elastic elongation. Looks like Tenex is more elastic. If lowering very light loads with positive rigging is that good, bad, or irrelevant?
Cheers

Indifferent I'd say. Anything under 2% is pretty static, and for the diameter you're talking about, imperceptible in use.

A ⅜" Treemaster kinda piques my interest. I made a quick look, and didn't see anything, even under a different name. I have Promaster in that size, but that isn't Treemaster.

Poly-dacron might wear better.
Like I said, I should call that custy of mine and she has a LARGE book(s) of offerings.

Here we go!

140# stronger than Promaster on the first one. Second link is significantly stronger, but doesn't mention what kind of lay. I'd assume it's hard lay, but it has polyolefin like Promaster does. I'm not sure about your third link. Treemaster's uncoated. It's slippery cause it's a tough SOB, and wound *tight*. If I had to guess, I think your second link hits closest, both in appearance and breaking strength. It would be nice to get samples. That would make it easy.

I stand corrected. I wonder what exactly "Pro-Gard" is?

Back