Stein Arbor-Trolley

Home made arbor trolley

I need an Arbor Trolley and I need one soon. Unfortunately the shipping to Australia is almost $500 so obviously the easiest thing to copy the best design out there – Reg's. Maybe one day Stein will license the plans to a fabricator in Australia?

Have drawn up some plans but wondering about the selection of steel for the uprights (not shown) and the round horizontal parts of the main frame.

trolley_frame.png

The uprights look like they're made from solid round maybe 5/8" while the round steel on the frame might be hollow 5/8" tube to save on weight ~ approx 4lb saving I reckon but that's assuming round tube is strong enough? I suppose I could make it with tube first and upgrade if it bends too much.

As someone once said - 'Anyone can build a bridge, but an engineer can build a bridge that will only JUST stay up'

Steve

Home made arbor trolley

I had to find some suitable wheels/tires since these will determine the length and diameter of the axle. They're only rated to 400lb (180kg) so not quite as tough as the ones on the Stein AT (500lb) but once again my choices are limited. At least they're 'flat-free'

The first job I really need the trolley for involves crown raising a couple of very old Radiata Pines. The property has a very narrow fine gravel driveway and similar paths winding around the garden - perfect for an AT.

Can Treestuff do better? Just axin cause arbolicious might not be around for a bit.

That was the shipping estimate from Treestuff via FedEx. Was actually $470 but that's over $500 Australian Dollars. Supposed I could ask Luke @ Treestuff if there are other shipping options - or maybe I could pick up from the FedEx depot - only a 3 hour round trip.

I'm putting off the job where I really need the AT until next month.

Steve

I've sent an email to Luke seeing if they can pick it up from the depot in Sydney/Australia. The shipping estimate via FedEx was actually 'only' $321. USPS was $470.

Just looked at one of my old treestuff orders from Feb 2013 where I paid $290 shipping. But that's when the exchange rate was $1.05 while now it's $0.87. Should have bought the trolley last year!

What's the coupon code for tree housers again for the 6% saving?

Also, anyone know how long the box is that the trolley comes in? Got a couple of jobs where a 4' bar for my 395 would be handy so might be able to squeeze one of those in with the order.

Steve

I've ordered the Arbor Trolley...not sure if it'll be the first in Australia. Might be able to hire it out to help recoup the shipping cost.

Or sell it to pay for a new feed roller motor on the 250xp that suddenly started leaking yesterday - 3 gallons in 1 hour! Although the timing was perfect since I'm contract climbing for the next three work days so plenty of time–for someone else–to fix.

Where do I store my AT when driving just a truck with no trailer, as today, with a disposal on site job????

4d2c5c72cefccdf3cdf05f2ea2395821.jpg

Thought where better place slip this one in. If youre a small company, or one man show like I....this product can save a lot of time and effort. Ive had the one in the vid about 5 years now.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tRB27R1E-4U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So it looks like new type plastic wheels. Is that so? Lighter than steel?

I just got a replacement after one went missing, which is narrower width than the older model? I haven't gotten around to making a metal spacer. I will need to for moving logs, I think. I'm using a scrap of PVC, at the moment.

I find PVC extensions to be worthwhile on the stakes for some brush moving. They add about 2 feet to the height, and dirt cheap.

Hope the 1 man show is working out for you well.

Back