Project Muscle Truck (again!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Stephen... I put another vid up on youtube of it idling in the driveway. But this time I walked behind it..i so you can really hear the cam through the 3" exhaust.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YXQ6yO7BxT4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gary

I had linked a lot of pics from here to a couple of "truck" forums.

Linking pics from here to another forum is one way to increase the server's bandwidth usage. I would ask ya'll to please not do that.

3 boxes showed up in the last week or so. 1 from Summit Racing, 1 from Randy's Ring & Pinion, and the other from Jeg's High Performance.

MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires, Eaton posi-traction rear carrier, Richmond 3.73 ring and pinion, Mr. Gasket vacuum canister, and a Yukon Gear 12-bolt rebuild kit with bearings and seals.

The rear end rebuild is gonna take a lotta work. One of my buds and I are gonna yard the rear end outta the truck and clean it up. Then I'll take it to my bro-in-law so he can rebuild it. I also have new drums, drum brakes, wheel cylinders, and brake hardware kits too.

I've put this rear end rebuild off for 3 years. Finally saved up the coin to get it done. :)

Oh... and Paully... those are some of your boxes behind all the parts! HAHA! :lol:

Gary

Attachments

• More Stuff 002.JPG
    More Stuff 002.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 1
Cool how the truck project keeps going on. What exactly does the new rear end give you, more positive engagement?

Exactly Jay... right now it is an "open" differential, where only one tire gets all the power. The posi-traction (or limited slip) has clutches in it that when under power engages both rear axles so you get positive engagement to both rear wheels instead of one.

Gary

As somebody who has been driving a 3.73 posi equipped vehicle for the past several hours, I can say that it ROCKS! :rockon:

Posi-traction is an old meaningful word from when growing up. Guys who had hot cars often had that type of rear end. The Beach Boys even sang about it, can you catch it?

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xKKP_cZuk54" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gary, get the power to the road. And dont crowd my gear with greazy truck parts eh? Only a week or so more and they will be outta your way.
Posi = how to kill a know it all teenager. At least almost, I put my Z-28 into a sui-slide with posi once (haha ok more than once), a know it all attitude and a spot of rain. did a 90 left, 90 right, 90 left and recovered it. Tagged both gravel shoulders with the rear wheels that day. Needed to stop and get out, paused to reflect on my actions, got new tires the next day, like that was the problem LOL!

Wires installed. :thumbup:

These were a kit that I had to cut to length and crimp on the termianls myself.

Gary

Attachments

• MSD wires 001.jpg
    MSD wires 001.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 3
  • MSD wires 003.jpg
    MSD wires 003.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 2
Yeah, I got lucky enough to see the truck in person and hear it, how about a video Gary? She's a beaut!

The absolute best wires I ever found for a SBC with headers were Moroso blue max. The second best, you will laugh, the cheapo Orieliy's wires.

Hey guys... :)

I know I've been MIA for a spell. Just a lot goin on with the new gal, work, kids, and even more projects. Startin' to stockpile Holley carbs for rebuild and resale. :)

Thanks for bumpin' this thread Brian! :)

Over the winter I finally yarded the 12 bolt out of the rod and installed the Eaton Posi-traction and the 3.73 gears. I put on all new drum brake components, and also bought a complete Stainless Steel brake line kit that replaces every brake line in the truck. To top it off I added the sweet ass Moser aluminum diff cover. :)

Attachments

• 72 GMC rearend 003.jpg
    72 GMC rearend 003.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 72 GMC rearend 006.jpg
    72 GMC rearend 006.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Rearend and Brakes 001.JPG
    Rearend and Brakes 001.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 12 bolt 002.JPG
    12 bolt 002.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 12-bolt 001.JPG
    12-bolt 001.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 12-bolt 004.JPG
    12-bolt 004.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 16
I also upgraded the MSD ignition system with an MSD all digital 6AL with rev limiter. Pretty slick. I fabbed the mount for it too on the passenger side inner fenderwell.

Gary

Attachments

• 6AL 002.JPG
    6AL 002.JPG
    252.3 KB · Views: 18
Sweet! I have a similar rear end cover/ girdle on the Mustang. I got it because I'm launching at 5K rpm on slicks and that will tend to rip the bearings out of the rear end, the girdle helps keep them in place.

IMG_1989.jpg

Back