Project Muscle Truck (again!)

Looks great Gary. I bet she bites the pavement now.
Hey, if you run across a Holley off a 390, let me know. I would rather get one from you and put some money in your pocket than some joe blow in the valley... I know I know.. it ain't Chebby... But it would be a nice upgrade on my F350 :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sweet! I have a similar rear end cover/ girdle on the Mustang. I got it because I'm launching at 5K rpm on slicks and that will tend to rip the bearings out of the rear end, the girdle helps keep them in place.

Exactly why I am runnin' it as well Brian. The truck 12 bolts are a little weaker than the car 12 bolts, and the carrier bearings are know to deflect under a hard load. So the Moser unit with the preload adjusters on the bearing caps help out a lot.

Looks great Gary. I bet she bites the pavement now.
Hey, if you run across a Holley off a 390, let me know. I would rather get one from you and put some money in your pocket than some joe blow in the valley... I know I know.. it ain't Chebby... But it would be a nice upgrade on my F350 :D

Stephen... What year is the truck, and does it have an auto, or stickshift? Carbs are carbs... just a few minor differences in linkages and kickdowns...

Gary

1980 auto 2wd. Has a 400 in it with a C4. I was told a carb of a 390 would work well with it.
Only has a 2bbl on it right now and really would work better on 4

Quick update... the Muscle Truck will be goin' under the knife this winter. Gonna cut the rust out of the rocker panels in the cab, and replace parts of the cab floor as well. Also either cut the rust out of the doors and do patch panels, or just bite the bullet and buy new doors from the aftermarket. One thing about old vehicles here in the PNW... they will have some rust... but not like back east.

New floor mounted auto shifter (haven't decided on which one yet), a complete new brake system from the booster/master cylinder, new stainless brake lines, to all new brake components at the wheels. If I don't get too deep into it... I might even upgrade the fuel system with a rear mounted fuel tank, electirc fuel pump and all new fuel lines to the carb. Right now the tank is in the stock location in the cab behind the seat. Which I don't care that it's mounted there... I just want some more weight over the rear wheels. Plus seein' a rear mounted tank in an old Chevy/GMC truck with the sump exposed from below with AN fuel lines looks sick...

Next fall will prpbably be body work and paint time... and a couple of interior upgrades. Again... there will be lots of pics posted for your viewing enjoyment. :)

Gary

I'm ready when you are. ;)

IMG_2061.jpg

Left and right lanes Butch, one is the racer and one is the opponent. the crossed out one is the opponent in Brian's case. They also seemed to be beaten like rented mules.

I didn't know that either. So Brian is doing a quarter mile in 11.999 seconds? That's pretty quick.8)

Sounds like a lot of work Gary, you have way more patience than me.

I didn't know that either. So Brian is doing a quarter mile in 11.999 seconds? That's pretty quick.8)

Sounds like a lot of work Gary, you have way more patience than me.

Yep... 12 seconds for a street car is quick. When I'm finally done with everything with the Muscle Truck... it should run low 11's high 10's. It would prolly keep pace with Brians Pony right now... but it would be hard to beat him. However... He is sleeping on the tree... :P

Gary

thats pretty quick indeed, brian what are the new 5.0's running in 1/8 and 1/4? i want one BAD

sleeping on the tree.... lol... My helpers have no idea what to say when I do a stoplight shootout with some unknowing schmuck then exclaim I totally treed that guy!

Yep... 12 seconds for a street car is quick. When I'm finally done with everything with the Muscle Truck... it should run low 11's high 10's. It would prolly keep pace with Brians Pony right now... but it would be hard to beat him. However... He is sleeping on the tree... :P

Gary
Wow, that's pretty quick for a Chevy, Gary. :P
And I'm getting better on the tree. Last Friday my RT was .250, .192 and .147. Still need more practice.

Sweet Brian! Anything below .200 is getting there! When I was racing my El Camino 20 years ago... the suspension in that car was so sloppy... I was leaving as the 2nd yellow light would go out, and still cutting .100 lights :lol:

I have yet to put the truck on the track, but plan on it next year. Next winter is when the cage, and a backhalf with a 4 link just might be in the cards. Then it will be stoopid quick. :)

This summer I stayed on the right front fender of a new GT in a stoplight to stoplight "race". I couldn't get around him... but the look of sheer shock on his face as a 4,000 pound green hulk paced his car door to door was enough for me. :) One day I'm gonna get you pony guys! :P :lol:

Gary

I did... I didn't beat him... but kept up with him. Since the switch to 3.73's in the ass end of this thing... it gets up and moves. :)

Gary

Back