Pokemon go BS

It IS funny to see the confusion and hostility towards the tech revolution from.... well, old people!

I don't get the comments about jobs in relation to this, there are young fellas playing this around here who make more in a month than most of us do in a year!

I don't have any issue with the tech part of it, just the idiots in cars, walking into traffic, and climbing over memorials that I have issue with.

Edit

Yep, there were plenty of people staring at phones before this game....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its not about the game.....its about playing the game at memorial for veterans...I heard there was a similar problem at the Hiroshima memorial. Just seems disrespectful and tasteless to me. Im old I guess

As far as exercise...I gotta laugh at it. The folks I see tend to sit on their ass and stake a spot and wait for whatever comes buy. I have yet to see a"fit" person playing it.I stick to the long distance swim then read something.....

Yep, there were plenty of people staring at phones before this game....

true problem with our society. I make it a point to check out from mine and interact with folks. A casual conversation while waiting in line, whatever. People tend to avoid interaction by staring at their phone.

Yeah, it's an epidemic. Sure has taken away from the quality of life in my opinion.

I agree, the thing with the memorials is b.s.. I've been thinking that we outta have "screen free" zones.

John is nailing it. I could GAF about people playing their vid, but have some f-cking respect.

I'm not into vids or TV myself, never was. I do like me some internet though.

I do like John a lot lately and strike up conversation and just generally try to be friendly and respectful. Like I always have been. Please, thank you, sir, ma'am, these types of phrases go along ways in interacting with each other. Basic respect, and when I see people acting disrespectful I see red like a bull. I lose my shit.

My only objection to it is that it seems to indicate a type of threatening reverse evolution. Hominins have gone through millions of years of progression with a major emphasis on self protection within their environment, but now thanks to smart phones and applications like Pokemon, many of our species don't have the wherewith to utilize attention to try and safely walk across a busy intersection with it's well documented dangers. Monkeys cross the street with an eye out for cars, I've noted. It's the rarest case that you ever see one having been run over.

Ed, there's nothing at all wrong with old cunts, it shows something still being around after 6-8 million years.

You are a giant among men Justin.

We have a couple veterans memorials in the area, that was the first thing I thought of.

The game is dumb, but yes they should have some goddamn respect.

I tended to agree with those.......jeeeeeezus I hope my kids dont talk to people like that when they get older.................youths, I wish the old guy had hit them.

I don't really know what it is either, except some news stories about it, like the one a few years back that mentioned a bunch of kids having seizures in front of their tv sets.

It used be that on the crowded Tokyo trains and subways, when an elderly person or pregnant or someone carrying an infant got on, it was common courtesy to stand up and offer your seat. There are a few special seats for those folks too, but other people sit down on them. I've noticed over the years fewer and fewer people giving up their seat. Especially now, everybody or almost, staring at their phones don't pay any attention to who gets on. You give up your seat and someone else needs one, looking around at all the young shits comfortably sitting there, it makes you want to give one a nudge with your shoe, or maybe a good kick to wake up. Freddy Kruger carrying a huge bloody butcher knife could sit down next to someone and they wouldn't notice a bit.

I'm more for monitors with a yellow and red card authority. After so many yellows, the red requires a couple weeks of community service in a retirement home.....for a first offense..

It's a simple solid plan, that unfortunately will never get adopted. The slapping that is.

I purposely avoid the public, crowds, anything where lots of people gather. I have no problem not leaving my property for days on end. People suck, except for most of y'all here. Lol.

"I purposely avoid the public, crowds, anything where lots of people gather. I have no problem not leaving my property for days on end."

This.

I think anybody who holds the attitude of slapping the young just because they feel like it, should be euthanised and turned into compost. At least they'd be finally some use. We could call it 'compost the aged'.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

My I think the best way to change this trend is to role model it. If I go to a gathering I don't use my phone...except maybe to share or take pictures. When I'm with my kids shopping and such, we open doors for people, take carts from folks who finished with them, address the cashier by the name on their tag......simple shit.

We have and elderly lady near our grocery store who's always walking in all kinds of weather. We see at the store talking to the manager sometimes....it's obvious she has dementia. Most folks just Cruz on by...as we did for a long time.

Until one afternoon this summer. We saw her walking in 97 degree heat, I turned around with my kids to offer her a ride. I'm sure she was nervous when she saw this STI with really dark tinted windows pull up beside her. I rolled the Windows down so she could see me and kids. She accepted the ride. Once she was in the vehicle I realized there was a problem. The smell of old urine was overwhelming. My kids noticed right away, but kept their act together. We drive her where she wanted...McDonald's.

My kids had lots of questions after. The main one was..." Who helps her.". Of course I had no idea. Since classes song start for me till August 15..... I decided to investigate a little. The VA ER I volunteer at is located across from the area the lady usually walks. During a shift there I asked one of the nurse if she knew who the lady was. She had seen her as a patient years ago at the main hospital in town. I will call the lady "Betsy " to maintain privacy. She was seen for smoke inhalation for nearly burning her house down during the winter by using a hot plate under the bed. Holy shit a hot plate!

The nurse gave me an idea where Betsy lived. Kinda went into stalker mode that afternoon. Back to the grocery to have brief conversation with manager....gained more insight into address. I found her house. Confirmed by her cane outside. No door knob.....which was wierd. I figured I would knock her door to see if she needed anything.....hot as hell, and I didn't see AC. She did not comes to the door. The smell of urine was off the chart.

Back at the VA I told the nurse I knew where Betsy lived and briefed her on conditions. I started to google around her first and last name. No living relatives, no children. Never married. Google tells to much IMO but in this case it was helpful.

The times I've seen her at the store it was a minor amount of groceries with cat food. I called meals on wheels to see if Betsy was on their radar. She had been but volunteers stopped going because she was never home or did not come to door. Service coordinator shared that Betsy did not cook which explains frequent trips to McDonald's......more the free coffee.

Then the hard decision. Do I call adult protective services....maybe risking her losing her freedom? A few days later I saw her walking again. My kids were at camp this time. We had planned for Betsy rides by having extra towels " in case". I stopped, she got in. This time she asked to drive to and unrelated house. She explained that Thomas wolf had built it and just wanted to see the flowers. I gained more info..she was 86. Worked as a nurse for the polio hospital of its time here in Asheville which is now care partners. We were briefly there.....then off to McDonald's. God this lady needs better food!

Her condition was the same. Unbathed. She was alert to what day it was, and knew her surroundings. I called protective services that afternoon. Made the report. The could not share info but my sense was they knew Betsy . The no door knob made them take interest. They asked if I wanted a follow up letter describing their action...I said yes but have not seen one. A felt some guilt after that call.

For more than two weeks.....no Betsy sightings. Damn I felt guilty...

On a trip to the store with kids....there she was. McDonald's of course. But this time much cleaner...looked like her hair was done. Stopped and offered ride. She declined because she just got their and was gonna stay awhile....probably for AC with the food. Drove by the house....new door knob. I doubt she put two and two together that is was me. I hope she is on which ever social workers radar for good now.

The experience for my kids and I was profound. They realize how "alone" Betsy is. Also how God damn determined she is! So long story short......respect is taught not inherited. I don't advocate slapping disrespectful youth. But I do advocate speaking up to them. The power of guilt on their soul might clue them in.....some maybe not. My kids are on the "Betsy " lookout now.......and not just this Betsy so to speak

Last funny part...on one ride Betsy asked if in knew anything about cell phones. I laughed and said yes. Old school flip phone. It wasn't charged and I doubt she paid the bill. But along the way someone told her she should have it to be safe I'm sure. She then said....I don't know why I carry it...I don't need it. Spoken like a true soul who has navigated her life without technology and continues to forge on without it. Besides....i doubt she would have time to dial 911 when her ticker gives out on the way to McSick.

McDonald's will probably end her days..

Back