Poison Ivy Relief

Ditto, Chris, if it is spreading quickly, you should consider going to a doctor for a shot, that case is looking rather bad.

I hate how the juice from the vine permanently stains your shirt black... and you really don't want that juice making skin contact! Way worse than brushing against the leaves.

For ages I used Oral Ivy, and it worked great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm going to go to the doctor. Jay, look at my first post where I mentioned my groin. That was my gentleman way of saying its already on my polesaw and throw bags.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I won't apply it there. My silliness has caused me enough grief, I'm not about to multiply it.

After my first couple of contacts with it each year I am usually all right the rest of the year. But I have noticed it getting worse the last few years.
Crap I used to never have allergies but I have them now, every summer.

Oh boy, just logged in to this thread!
I was about to recommend the Tecnu but saw you've already done that. Getting to the Dr now sounds like the only course of action!

A word of caution about the bleach treatment...my Mr. gets PI BAD...he used to put straight bleach on the blisters, it worked, until the time he put it on for too lond, and some of the blisters were weeping, it was quite extensive, arms, body, basically he was poisoning himself, he got to feeling very funky indeed, so we stopped that ever since.
Tecnu has worked since, that and moving to a country where there is no poison ivy!

Guess i should say it one more time, bleach works if you put it on repeatedly during the day, and the half and half mixture is what you want. Putting on straight bleach a few times won't be harmful, but repeatedly over a couple of days will burn off the skin and you probably won't notice what is happening until the skin comes off and the blisters have been exposed, along the lines of what Fiona said. Half diluted with water works pretty quickly putting it on five or six times per day, I have used the method a number of times. The itching stops and the blisters dry up. I haven't used the method on a case as serious as Chris's, wouldn't advise it as the sole treatment.

Laugh if you want but it works http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=D1001&Show=ExtInfo

As a rule I don't get the stuff but on rare occassion between the fingers and perhaps on the wrist .There is always a bar of this stuff in the bathroom .Mrs Smith is very susceptible to it .She doesn't have rhino hide skin like me .

Never heard of that, Al. I'll have my wife and daughters try it. We have some Tecnu products around, and I have a bar of the soap from Bailey's. I worked with some guys once who swore that if you ate a few leaves of it from time to time, it would boost your immune system.

As a side note, Asplundh's always warned us against burning PO/PI, due to the urushiol becoming airborne. They say you can inhale the vapors, and actually get it in your lungs, which is rather deadly.

Remember, once you have an extreme reaction to poison ivy, that is likely to be your default reaction from now on. Sensitization becomes more and more extreme with each exposure.

I've found that with Rhus [Toxicodendron succedaneum] same family if I remember correctly. I won't do them anymore.

Good luck Chris.

Back