Personal Best (or Beast)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
...there's nothing in the first one as far as I can tell ... thanks though these are the first pics I've EVER had up at the house ... you can see how handy it was to have a steel pull line in our way ....I'll check with Ted ..maybe have him try again ....

thanks again Joel for the technical help ... Obama claimed every nook and holler would have high speed internet ... still waiting ...also maybe Butch would help me out and make one of these my new avatar... not to get all vain , but they are some decent shots ...

I was reading up on winter squash. Pumpkin pie is usually made with squash. I grew 80 bushels of the stuff this year. Acorn, Butternut, Buttercup, and Spaghetti. Sold most of it and kept some to give away. I love it baked in the half shell. Eat it right out of the shell. It is a much better consistency that way.

four custard and six pumpkin.

cobleskill that is alot of squash! what i know of the soil there it grows awsome my favorite is the butternut halved with some maple syrup before baking!

Dave I see the avatar thing was done!

How about a recipe, please.

I can find butternut here, when I'm lucky, but none of the others.

How about a recipe, please.

I can find butternut here, when I'm lucky, but none of the others.

Stig cut in half scoop out the seeds/guts place remaining on baking tray add maple syrup to cavity and bake @350 for 30 min to 40 min or so.
brown sugar same only butter and brown sugar amounts are not critical but maybe a 1/4 cup brown sugar, and a couple table spoons of butter I cover mine for the first 20min so I dont loose too much to drying out.;) enjoy

EZPZ. You just cut the squash lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and any strings, put in a baking dish with an inch of water. 2 tbsps of butter and a couple tbsps of brown sugar and bake at 350-375 until tender. About 40 minutes to an hour, depending on size. You could probably grow a bush acorn in your greenhouse. You usually get 6 to 8 fruits from a 36 to 40" diameter plant. The other squashes take more space, but could be trellised. Do you have enough summer to get the plants started to a good size indoors and then set them out?

Hmmmmmm..................sounds interesting.
I'll have to talk to the person in charge of what get's to grow in the greenhouse about that.

I picked up a couple of butternuts from the turkish greengrocer in town today, hoping there'd be a recipe waiting here when I got home.
I'll try it out tonight.

Also bought a bunch of big ripe persimmons.
On the way home we went through the forest and stopped to take a walk.
After last nights snowfall everything was totally white. I grabbed a persimmon and munched on that as we were walking.
That bright orange color really stood out against the snow.

brown sugar and butter work great , but there is a certain something about Dark Maple Syrup flavor with the squash ....

Do you eat anything with it? sounds like it would go great with a scoop of vanilla icecream.

Back