Personal Best (or Beast)

I hated cutting down a specimen tree for no reason. Actually I loved the work of cutting em down, hated to see em go

I think that goes for most of us.
Love the challenge of falling it, but feel sorry that it has to fall.

There is a bit of treehugger in even the most hardcore logger ( hopefully!).

I hug them for dear life. When someone is showing off their gym bought muscles, I show my arms and say "see these guns? Do you know how I got em? Fear of death."

Now this thread is on it's fourth page and we still haven't seen any pictures of that oak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its just a joke I like. There are places in some trees I do not care to linger but the level of fear I feel weekly is very manageable. The tree jobs in Cali were scarier which showed itself in my occasional transformation into Grumpy Climber.

I imagine its the one in the foreground. Its sort of biggish.

Attachments

34.3 KB · Views: 143
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got down there early yesterday ... used the GRCS and two blocks (needed a third for two pieces) .... worked all the material over the house before lunch ... ran out of time and steam with a little bit of top left (four more cuts)... probably could have finished if the Homeowner hadn't hogged time by having me install a completely unnecessary steel cable for falling the log later .... he did actually get some photos ... with some IT help I can eventually get them to the House ....

I wish those dudes I worked for in Maryland would get me pics of that job! Waiting on other people's pics sucks. By the time you get them, you're usually over it. :(

I sooooo know what ya mean Andrew. I am still waiting on pics from a poplar TD and damage fix. I did get those ones from the creek bed we cleared on rope this year. Those were from last spring:|:

Dial Up kinda sucks ... but it's better than smoke signals or two coffee cans and some twine ....customer sent two E-mails with photos .... one won't even open for me ... the other has three decent pics , sort of lacks scale ... doesn't show the building (s) at all ...I will forward them to Joel so he can help out and post'em ....

I can't imagine dial-up: I've never even seen it. I guess it's like riding a bike as opposed to driving a car. I'd probably just stay home...

Had it in Alaska for a short while, thot it was dumb and turned it back off for years

... customer is always right ... he wants to fall the stem himself at a later date .... went out and bought two hundred foot wire rope and some three bolt clamps ... wants it rigged for the pull ... the whole thing leans AWAY from the building , without the top weight I bet you could drop it conventional cuts with gravity ... although I suppose I'd bore out some middle anyways....

Dave has pictures!

Dave I only got the 3 of these and had to resize!

Attachments

• Getting Higher!.jpg
    Getting Higher!.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Look out Below!.jpg
    Look out Below!.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Out on a limb.JPG
    Out on a limb.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 14
Back