O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

:
“Arborist climbing spikes” are listed on ebay right now with a day and some change to run for $300. The add reads new, carbon fiber, pictures show Geko. Aren’t those $500 plus?
Should have also said... go for it, if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the heads up Merle!!! :greenjumpers::greenjumpers:

Ayuh, Sherrill sells 'em for $545.95. I can't really afford 'em BUT, I can't afford to pass
up a deal like that. I hope it's for real. I've been lookin' for Gecko's for a while and this
was WAY too good to pass on. :yes:
Hey, anyone have input on what "type" of spikes work "best" on the Geckos..... ??? :?
I'm climbing both hard and soft wood.....

Glad to help Randy. Consider having both short and long spikes. At one time when I only had one set of spurs and pads I would change out the spikes for certain trees. Of course having two sets of climbers is preferable. They might have only been available because they were not listed as Geko carbon fiber.

That's exactly what I was thinking. When I saw your post I got REAL excited and immediately jumped over
to ebay to take a look. It took me 10-15 minutes to find 'em. I had to go back and look at your post twice..... :|:
I did finally find them, but like I said, had to give it some "hard thought" before I clicked that buy it now button.
It's a "stretch" but I believe it'll be a good investment for me.
Having two sets, one with short spikes and one with long spikes, is definitely on my "this is my gear in a perfect world list". ;)
I'll probably buy a shorter set of spikes to swap out as soon as I can "swing it", thanks for the tip. :thumbup::D
Hey, thanks again Merle, you definitely made my day! :yes:

Oh, and I'll post a pic as soon as I get 'em..... ;)

That's exactly what I was thinking. When I saw your post I got REAL excited and immediately jumped over
to ebay to take a look. It took me 10-15 minutes to find 'em. I had to go back and look at your post twice..... :|:
I did finally find them, but like I said, had to give it some "hard thought" before I clicked that buy it now button.
It's a "stretch" but I believe it'll be a good investment for me.
Having two sets, one with short spikes and one with long spikes, is definitely on my "this is my gear in a perfect world list". ;)
I'll probably buy a shorter set of spikes to swap out as soon as I can "swing it", thanks for the tip. :thumbup::D
Hey, thanks again Merle, you definitely made my day! :yes:

Oh, and I'll post a pic as soon as I get 'em..... ;)

Having both is key. I have only climbed about 5 trees in tree gaffs. I hate 'em. People think I'm crazy. Any you should see the next to nothing pads that are well, well worn, but I attribute the minimal padding needed, to the lesser leverage of pole gaffs.

If the bark is so thick at the bottom of the tree that I need tree gaffs, I'll probably rope walk SRT until the first branches.

Sure, just to prove to myself what a bad idea it was :).

I don't think I met more than one or two PNW USFS climbers who used the short gaffs, out of hundreds I taught with and instructed. A much higher percentage of eastern and southern climbers did, though.

I will certainly find out for myself soon enough. ;)
I'm planning(eventually)to get the shorter spikes 'cause I do climb so many trees that I don't need the long ones.

I climbed in pole spurs once. Kicked them off and call for my traditional hooks. I cant say I don't like them. I can say I am not one to make a new drastic change while trying to get work done.

Sure, just to prove to myself what a bad idea it was :).

I don't think I met more than one or two PNW USFS climbers who used the short gaffs, out of hundreds I taught with and to. A much higher percentage of eastern and southern climbers did, though.

You would flipline up trees regularly without a climb line, no?

Yes, and no. Spurring up without a DRT system was common for me in my early years, but I nearly always was trailing a 225' rappel line and had a rescue 8 on my harness. That was the better way to descend, of course. In the early days, I had to get to the limbs to deploy it, but later on the long adjustable R&R friction saver made that viable from anywhere on the bole.

I spent the first 10 years on short spurs, the next 10 on longs, and I've been back on shorts for over 10, now. IIRC, I think I sold Burnham my long shanks. Other than a big Cottonwood, we just don't have thick barked trees around here.

Included them in the price, sure did. I gave the pads you had on them away...they were good too, those double strap leather w/ steel inserts, with the angled mount. I forget right now the name.

Burmham gave me a set of pole spurs for my Kleins.
I like them for whippy tops in trees with thin bark, such as birch.
With the short spurs on, it is way easier to keep your balance in a thin top, because you can rest your instep on the tree.

Boy, I am such a good guy!

That surely is their advantage. Of course if you are like me, and have such superb balance that you can stick a single tree gaff in the cut off top of 100 footer that's 4 inches in diameter and spin a 360 degree circle in comfort, you don't need that advantage.
:P

;)

Well, I ain't:lol:

You know, there sure is a lot of fine stuff being passed around here at the House.

Hey, don't pick on me or I'll use the "English isn't my native language" excuse again:lol:

Back