Keeping rust away from my chipper

glibed

TreeHouser
Hi, I'm the new proud owner of a little 6" chipper
I'm a small companie and I operate from my home driveway and small garage for tools.
I know that in the rental world they leave everything sitting outside but I'm uncomfortable to leave my investment under the heavy rain outside
If you dont have a huge garage how do you protect your machines from the elements? So far i've used a big tarp over it with bungee cords

Steel carport? Shelter logic structure?

The problem with the tarp is it will wear on the paint over time.

Every chipper I've ever worked with was parked out in the weather and rust was never a problem. It's a rare treeco that has a shop big enough to park their chipper and chip truck in.

Welcome to the TreeHouse! What is your first name? Mine is Butch.

I can't sleep at night if my chipper or grinder, digger or tractor are outside in the rain. The vans are ok outside. If I'm leaving early so have got one of them outside ready I've got up at stupid o'clock to put a tarp on them.

Keep salt off of it!!!!!! A few years ago when I built my chip box and did not paint the metal not a speck of rust all summer and fall but the first time out on the road with salt, it rusted up over night.

I can't sleep at night if my chipper or grinder, digger or tractor are outside in the rain. The vans are ok outside. If I'm leaving early so have got one of them outside ready I've got up at stupid o'clock to put a tarp on them.

Ha, I'm like that too, but mostly just in the winter. Summer rain doesn't make me feel bad about the trucks in the weather.

Summer rain is a free wash but I still like my equipment under roof. I grew up around farms and never saw equipment left out. Tractors from the 70's still look new.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey thanks all for the suggestions
I was thinking about a soft shelter like a tempo car condom but theres a city law against ugliness during the summer
I guess it will just be the tarp with bungees over a dry parking

Dom

Back