super small chipper/ homeowner sized chipper for small jobs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What i mean is that in the video the operator puts in several foot long sections of dead wood. I'm curious about limbs. I know there is side-cutting/ weakening required.

I didn't realize its 24 hp. More than I thought. It would be nice not to tie up the mini, nor require the mini go out on every jobs. That would be good to wheel into the backyard for two large apple trees, that I do every year, or three medium fruit trees. Or the nine that I will go do today, myself.

A part of the niche is that when a company gets them on the plan to chip back into the orchard, it becomes a longer term relationship, as you have the niche machine. Yes, of course you can haul the chips back and mulch, but a lot of people become creatures of habit. its easy for them when they don't have to wheelbarrow it themselves. Its not so cost effective to pay an arborist for loading and wheelbarrowing mulch.

Yeah Bob, he looks really afraid of it... LOL
It will suck some stuff right in Sean and others you have to weaken. I've taken long flexible pine limbs and sometimes you have to hold it back to keep from stalling the motor. Usually happens on stuff between 3-5" dia.
Live oak, white oak and blue oaks are a pain. You really have to cut to straighten it out.
You would be surprised how well you can stuff some limbs in. Rob feeds it more aggressive than I as he is taller and has better leverage. Me, I cut smaller and feed fast.
Nice when you have a guy cutting for you and feeding in the rakings and little twigs that break off. Like I said before, best for pruning jobs like you are describing. Nice in that you can bring it in close to the work. Shute rotates 360.
I'll see if we can video a job we'll be on soon... The thing does have it's niche.
I wish Rob had got the vacuum attachment for it. Would have been nice to suck up the leafy stuff on some jobs and mulch it.

My neighbor bought the smaller Bearcat for her yard. First day while pruning next to the chute, it grabbed the piece and took the hand pruners with it.

And their site says they're sold at Home Depot!! Looks like a machine that was actually designed by someone who used one before. Unlike my POS MacKissic.

Not me.
I used the smaller model, without the hydrolic feeding, a rental one. It could be handy for green waste, hedge trimming, leaf and twigs, but it's a pain for limbs with some wood.
The cutting device is a bunch of triangular fixed blades smashing the limbs in air, no counter knife to take the shock and ease the cut. The impacts are violent and sent at the other end of the limb, so your hands get a hard time and you really don't want to put them between the limb and the chute, even if it's a small size chipper.
Sure it does the job, but it's noisy, jerky and hard for you.

One more positive point, matter of speaking, it maintains your welding skill at a good level. Keep the welder ready to use:evil:

Three fruit trees today, vertical reduction and thinning after neglect, in the back yard, uphill a long drag from the street. Could have used the mulch under said fruit trees. 2 yards of chips to haul off site.

I tell you what's interesting about that chipper Fiddler. How behind the UK market the yanks are in small chippers.
No offence, the bigger stuff you yanks have got it licked, I'm on my second Rayco grinder, and your bigger chippers are well built.
But 816kgs! With a 25hp petrol engine. Here you can get a 35hp kubota powered timberwolf with a letterbox feed that'll take up to 230mm or in reality around 7" of wood and it still weighs under 750 kg.
Price wise I couldn't comment but the vermeers aren't cheap in Europe, they'd never bother sending something like that over here, they wouldn't sell 1 unit.
It's interesting how when you limit engineers by restricting weight how creative and innovative they become.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/75wAK9AIgms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I own one of these, Ive never used it on a job yet- been to busy to rig it to my dump trailer, plus haven't that many jobs lately when it would have been usefull.

Looks nice, Chris.

My mechanic was borrowing an 18 HP little chipper from a friend. Looked about right.

Is your the cs 100 16/18 HP?

Lot of bruits rave about thème but id rater pile it on a traîner or ligne a dire or stock it and leave it.

Thought I'd leave that in French predictive:lol:

Anyway what I meant was a lot of Brits rave about those (cs100) I'd rather drag it out of the garden, burn it or just leave it than use a food mixer like that.

My landscaper mate over here has some single roller Italian jobby with 18hp, when he insists we use it (to save money on using mine!) I find it depressing.

Yea its kind of a toy Mick but I was really, really getting over slashing waste down with a saw and not quite ready for a truck & real chipper yet....

Sean its the 18 hp cs100. I was originally on the hunt for the machine in this clip (goes pretty damn hard according to the clip) but our second hand market is very limited...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pKRJbVrW844" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's bad luck, I know where you could get one cheap.

They do go well. Keep the knives sharp and you can stick 3"-4" in as fast as you can.

I bought one of the original Bonels years ago after seeing one at a show, never regretted that. It was a great little machine and I could push it just about anywhere or use the grinder to pull it.

Work has changed a lot, I haven't used it for years except when I had to wait for those bearings a couple of years ago. It came in handy then.

Like this one.

bonel 1(.jpg

Yea its kind of a toy Mick but I was really, really getting over slashing waste down with a saw and not quite ready for a truck & real chipper yet....

Sean its the 18 hp cs100. I was originally on the hunt for the machine in this clip (goes pretty damn hard according to the clip) but our second hand market is very limited...

Yeah, sorry for getting all sniffy about 'em. If they work for you then go for it.
Out of interest what do you Aussies use mostly chipper wise? Yank stuff?

Back