Insect and bites

Quite a long video, I got about halfway through it. Clearly he put a ton of thought and development into that system, I guess I'd have to watch his previous video to really get the point of it.

Pretty complicated rig for a new climber. In some of the brushy oaks here I'd probably have trouble with it. Look up some of the Hitch Hiker vids Jose. You should know how to climb with doubled rope but the hitchhiker with single rope is super simple and efficient. And a lot less costly. Even though the Uni can be used SRT, Hoffman himself said he wouldn't recommend it for the inexperienced.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have watch then over and over and over again. I have to practice, however I need it now to support my body, will work the other application later. I will be training on in on my day off.

Last edited:
Am content with a ZigZag, but a Blakes hitch paid my mortgage for a lot of years.
Suprising how novice climbers have just gotta have the latest and greatest gadgets and gizmos. The best of everything.
guys with all the fancy shiny gear. Kids nowadays!
Makes me wonder how I ever got so much done, with so little.

Difference between those kids and us is we can get it done without flashy things. Just a lot more like work though.

I look at it a tad different. I've had "work smarter, not harder" pounded into my head for years, and I invest in the tools to make that happen. I also spend hours and hours on here learning how they work and what to get and how to use it, instead of playing video games like the me from 6 years ago would have.

I don't disagree with you at all Chris. But being able to go " old school" if necessary can be very useful in a pinch. I also think that knowing and using the basic climbing ways lets me appreciate the new much more.

I'm with ya, I'm also extremely lucky that I was able to start this off small scale, part time, almost more of hobby, so my gear pile was able to grow extremely fast. So I learned the basics, then jumped right to the new shiny stuff.
Old school is so fundamental and so important because it is ALWAYS there. It doesn't really matter what you forgot, lost, or broke, knowing how to go back to old school and get sh@t done can make the difference between getting the job done or having to come back another day and lose money. I did a few practice climbs using a single rope with a blake's hitch when I first got into tree work just because I saw it and it looked super useful and I had not come across any system like that in rock climbing. Then I got into the unicender and rope runner, but that base is still in my noggin for when its needed.
About a year and a half ago, I watched a friend experimenting with positioning on a wall for photography and we did 3 other climbs while he floundered around with different pieces of gear and configurations and got himself exhausted, then a few months later I learned about DRT using only 1 rope and 1 carabiner - Blew My Mind!

I wander, why is necessary for anyone avail to get the latest tool, to have to use old gear. The cost of upgrading do not make any sense . Yes, it is not a bad think to know about old gear and old techniques ,as long as you find it is what you know and practice . I am glad someone have taken the time to improve old equipment and techniques . It give me a easy way to find what will work for me.

It is a good backup for when something goes wrong. The latest tools and equip make you faster, more efficient, and safer - all good things. The day that you forget, lost, or broke piece of gear that you rely on, its nice to be able to use old school techniques and keep working safely, rather than loosing time to go find or replace the gear or worse (cutting corners on safety due equipment issues).
Or maybe you just want to have a second climb line for better positioning, you can easily do that with just a second rope using the most basic old school drt setup, no need to purchase another complete set of expensive gadgets for a rare situation.

I set up a hand ascender ( same hi is using ) I got 2 foot ascenders got the unicender set up, do have a ABR Usaver and a second rope 200' of 1/2" climbing rope. I need a self rescue set up. I have to practice with all the items. It seam simple, however I have been wrong before. Will see! Will add a picture when I get it set and working properly.
Suggestions on self rescue set?

Pictures or it never happened!!

I just slapped a bowline and a blakes on the tail of my tachyon and used that for 1 pine trim... Idk why,just cause i can I suppose.
I better get back to work...

Nothing wrong with deciding to buy really cool stuff, but all the shiny gear in the world can't substitute for experience.

Mother earth always will draw you to her bosom, a line from my military rappel course, best not complicate what holds you up when you don't fully understand.

Do you independent arborist bother with stump removal ,I mean digging ,cutting roots ,removing . I did start this job on, as soon as possible agreement . $120.00 is this about right or to low?

Attachments

• 20151209_130558.jpg
    20151209_130558.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 55
Back