In The News...

You could've answered some of the questions I put to you, instead of just taking exception to what I was saying.

It's cool Levi. You feel strongly about it, it would seem. I'd be interested to read your views of why you feel that way.

I was probably brainwashed in school as a child. I've always felt a great love for my country.

Maybe a simple urge is enough, but when someone does something that is contrary to what is normally considered common sense, in this case on a national level, I don't think it's seeking too much for them to be asked to explain themselves. If they then say, "Oh I just got the urge". Then you know where they are coming from. You can maybe want to then rate their IQ for some degree of measure. The supreme court has already said to what degree ill conceived urges are justification for the right to be protesting, as long as you aren't hurting or impeding anyone else in the stricter sense. Talking about those imbeciles getting the ok to be protesting at military member's funerals.

I love my country as well. The land and creatures that inhabit it that is. I do not agree with much of the choices and policies made by the United States, past or present.

HOWEVER that is not why I don't stand or feel proud. All I did was luck out and get born here, for better or worse. You know what I mean?

Sure, I get that, luck of the draw. Even though I believe in no God or religion I feel blessed everyday, to have had the luck to be born where I am. I guess for me I see more of a detachment of it from past political or otherwise injustices as to a little bit of hope that as a people under our nation we might actually cling to a faint glimmer of the honour and glory in a national anthem.

I mean I believe I have this one go around, and that's it. I dream of a strong nation for my daughter, as futile as that may be. But I guess to me honouring and loving my country through singing the national anthem or showing pride in my nationality is a 'easy' way of doing that.

Showing thanks, and hoping for a brighter future.

I feel we all do need to act together in a concerted, unified effort, if there is any hope for the future.

But honestly I don't see that happening.

I appreciate your veiws, and I agree, we all need to work together. However I think that we need to adopt that belief in a global level and the idea of nationalism impedes the formation of a global community.

WoW,this got deep...

You are both good men it seems,good conversation going here.

Justin,I got more connectivity to you on these last few posts than i have from all other posts of yours I've read prior, I also am not a fan of our anthem.
reason being our lying,deceitful ,murderous government,i do not belong in this capitalist society that benefits from the misfortune of other beings and the rape and pillage of our provider Mother Earth. I am trapped it seems...

The only way I see any global cooperation happening though is through our nations. I don't see separate nations ending ever without crazy bloodshed. So I feel countries need to cooperate and help each other as best as they can but one way of doing that or being able to help others on a more global scale is by helping your own nation to be the strongest it can be.

So at least having the vision of a strong unified nation, appeals to me. I think it's a good thing.

Squish, I believe that your thinking is more individual consciousness that outright nationalism. Nationalism is something put in place because certain powers don't want to trust individual thinking. Our first experience with nationalism is being told to think a certain way. I lost some good friends in a pointless war falsely started by my country, that did much to weaken my nationalism. It didn't weaken my resolve to want to protect and defend my family, friends, and neighbors where I live, to want a good life for them. No entity has to tell me to think that way. Thinking like a blanket thrown over everyone is dangerous. Individual thinking and consciousness is what provides the checks and balances, something much stronger in the long run, than merely flags to get people excited.

Or what about a threat from an ET? That might unify the world rather quickly. Or a more realistic problem, environmental crisis.

Thanks, Samuel. Kind of like my opposition to thanksgiving. In my point of view it's a holiday about genocide, most would disagree.

Interesting thoughts Jay, Levi and Samuel. I am very much a product of my time and place. I realize that a different experience in life could bring about different viewpoints. I certainly through expressing my opinions am not trying to lessen anyone else's.

Sure, I get that, luck of the draw. Even though I believe in no God or religion I feel blessed everyday, to have had the luck to be born where I am. I guess for me I see more of a detachment of it from past political or otherwise injustices as to a little bit of hope that as a people under our nation we might actually cling to a faint glimmer of the honour and glory in a national anthem.

I mean I believe I have this one go around, and that's it. I dream of a strong nation for my daughter, as futile as that may be. But I guess to me honouring and loving my country through singing the national anthem or showing pride in my nationality is a 'easy' way of doing that.

Showing thanks, and hoping for a brighter future.

And that is nationalism. Which has its merits, but not for everyone. Like Catholicism

Interesting indeed.

I stand, but I do not sing. I am a crap singer.

Very interesting the idea of just "lucking out" by being born here. Is it guilt? Is this just "North American Privilege"?

I could not disagree more about the "one world" deal either.

I say stand up, ye Americans. Be proud. Lots to be proud about.

The QB is misguided, but thank Allah that we DONT have to stand bolt straight in such circumstances.

Doing something like that in one of these other wonderful countries could get you sent to a political re education camp.

I'm definitely a nationalistic guy. The problem for those that don't feel that way is it's somewhat insulting to those of us that do. Like either you're in or you're out. You want to keep your home and your loved ones safe, but you don't love the nation that's given you that lot in life? To me that seems ungrateful. If you believe in the 'lottery' of life and souls you could have just as easily been born into some lesser nation where you and your loved ones would've had what you perceive as your basic rights brutalized.

Let alone the standard of living. I'm talking atrocities.

I too feel the guilt as i stand but do not sing.... I feel at the very least the person sitting should not be on thier cell phone or picking a scab but should have eyes front and center for many have shed blood for thier honest cause and for that we are able to sit here today and bitch about our first world problems,in my opinion

Maybe a good place to start would be a definition of terms... no doubt the word or idea of a nation differs from one person to the next.

I think if you dig around, there are plenty of atrocities that have been perpetrated and are still perpetrated. Just because I have been the beneficiary of those atrocities doesn't mean I have to sing about it. Maybe Canada has a squeakier clean history. I don't have guilt or self hatred and I love this land where I live and the people. But I certainly am not going to sing about it every time I go to work Like Colin is supposed to. Imagine if we sung the anthem before every crane removal. Honestly, at the ball game, I'm a stander not a singer and not a sitter. I am more of a go with the flow type but I highly respect people that do have convictions.

I really don't understand the concept of nations though, like what is the difference between a hunduran and a guatamalan? or a chilean vs aan Argentine, or a Jordanian vs a Syrian or Iraqi. A Swiss vs an Austrian a czech vs a slovak or a croat vs a serb a northern Irish vs an Irish. A texan vs an Oklahoman. A michigander vs an Ontarian. It seems enormously contrived the whole concept of nations and states. Much like Michigan vs. Ohio State in football.

Back