In The News...

I am not a nationalist and I don't believe in God....

That's fine and all, I don't believe in God either but we all live in nations, whether you're a nationalist or not. So don't be surprised if you feel so strongly against the wealthy privileged nation that you live in that you won't stand or sing its anthem, if others give you the stink eye for it. I would too. I sing my national anthem, I'm proud to be a Canadian. Do I agree with how everything is run? Hell no. But I still feel plenty moved to sing my national anthem along with my fellow countrymen at a sporting event or otherwise.

Well it seems silly to me to feel so strongly against your nation that you won't sing its anthem at a public gathering yet you'll enjoy all the benefits of being an American irregardless. It you feel so strongly against your nation you should do something to effect some change. Not terrorist like but get involved with non-violent likeminded people. That's what a democracy is all about.

If you felt your country was 'better' would you sing its praises in a national anthem? Or are you just dead set against nationalism and wish we all just lived in a border less melting pot?

No man is an island. You will always be involved in some sort of community. Why not be a part of it?

could be he just doesn't like the tune. Im not a big fan of the tune or the lyrics. I found it interesting while watching the olympics virtually all of the national anthems were virtually identical in pomp and grandiosity. Hard to distinguish one from another. Now I love this land and the people in it but the whole ball game hoopla about a dumb song is silly. virtually the only time I am exposed to it is during sporting events. Makes me think it is more a pledge of allegiance to jock culture than anything else. How come they don't sing the anthem before plays or book readings?

Calling the police on a victims house falsely claiming some serious crime, like bomb making, in hopes a swat team will bust up the house.

could be he just doesn't like the tune. Im not a big fan of the tune or the lyrics. I found it interesting while watching the olympics virtually all of the national anthems were virtually identical in pomp and grandiosity. Hard to distinguish one from another. Now I love this land and the people in it but the whole ball game hoopla about a dumb song is silly.

Interesting. See for me, I could count on one hand the number of professional sporting events I've been to. Most of my experience of singing the national anthem comes from small public gathering on events like 'Canada day' where the point is to celebrate the nation, so I guess Levi wouldn't be there. But even more so at school events for my daughter, often the national anthem is sung. I partake, I feel proud to be a Canadian. Its not like I sing at the top of my lungs or nothing, but I participate.

Justin, that's all well and fine but you wouldn't get a dirty look from me for doing what you feel.

Well it seems silly to me to feel so strongly against your nation that you won't sing its anthem at a public gathering yet you'll enjoy all the benefits of being an American irregardless. It you feel so strongly against your nation you should do something to effect some change. Not terrorist like but get involved with non-violent likeminded people. That's what a democracy is all about.
If you felt your country was 'better' would you sing its praises in a national anthem? Or are you just dead set against nationalism and wish we all just lived in a border less melting pot?
No man is an island. You will always be involved in some sort of community. Why not be a part of it?
:thumbup::thumbup:

There's endless ranks of people waving flags, so I don't see why people get so worked up by an individual showing a different take. The media is the one that wants to play it up and make it into something that will result in a big issue., then they can report on that too. This latest one is just like the black guys that raised their gloved fists at the olympic medal ceremony. Track event wasn't it.... They likely used the same hand that they scratch their ass with. I mean wgaf?

I'm always impressed how much Canadians love Canada. It is a beautiful country. Don't you give allegiance to the queen of England or something still?

What is the point of you trying to tell me how I should be, Justin? And Ray giving a thumbs up for your little lecture?
You guys have nothing better to do?

Justin, that's all well and fine but you wouldn't get a dirty look from me for doing what you feel.

I appreciate that. Really I do.

But I think when you choose to sit and not sing, that it's a form of protest in a way. It's like being impolite, you know that it's going to be expected when you go there, yet you choose to not participate in a very obvious fashion. I imagine some that feel like you do still stand and maybe look a little solemn or something to atleast not offend your neighbours in a setting that should be all about appreciating a sport and having a good time, or whatever it may be. Anthems are usually sung at fun or positive types of things. Would it hurt you to stretch your legs for a minute? Do you feel the need to make some form of a protest in that way? You've perceived obviously that it's not appreciated in that setting by the others around you.

What is the point of you trying to tell me how I should be, Justin? And Ray giving a thumbs up for your little lecture?
You guys have nothing better to do?

Read the above post, which was a well thought out reply to the post previous to this bs.

My reply to this post is bite me. You're a young feller with a burgeoning business, don't you have anything better to do? I worked a few hours this morning myself.

Okay, Justin. You know, you really changed my mind about this, I'm going to get a bald eagle tattooed on my ass and go song God bless America in the park all day!

I'm always impressed how much Canadians love Canada. It is a beautiful country. Don't you give allegiance to the queen of England or something still?

I don't think we 'give' much of anything. But we like the Brits and their royalty plenty enough to welcome them whenever they choose to holiday here.

It's funny because I've always thought that most Americans loved their country too?

I'm certainly not trying to tell anyone how to think, just being part of the discussion.

Okay, Justin. You know, you really changed my mind about this, I'm going to get a bald eagle tattooed on my ass and go song God bless America in the park all day!

Yah because anyone was suggesting that at all besides you? Wtf dude?

A person that decides to make a protest like that, presumably he has thought about it enough to reason that it is of value and has some kind of meaning, so a truly great country should back him up in his right to freedom of self expression. He's not hurting anyone besides perhaps a few zealots get offended. If he hasn't considered it much before doing it, then he's an idiot, and the act is not worth anybody even thinking about.

Yah because anyone was suggesting that at all besides you? Wtf dude?

Is that not an extreme example of your implication? That I should join some non terrorist groups and try to affect change because "That's what democracy is " come off of it, bro. I don't give a damn if you want to belt out "Oh Canada " and feel all warm and fuzzy.

Well I don't think Levi's rights or freedoms were infringed upon, unless maybe he has been put on a no-fly list or something now.

I just find it interesting, people who live in a nation, with all the other people of that nation yet feel like they fundamentally dislike it.

For me the national anthem is not about celebrating my politicians or my country's prowess, it's about celebrating myself, and all of my brothers and sisters living under the same flag.

Honestly I don't even know your guys national anthem, now that I stop to think about it. I should google it. Maybe I would find it offensive but I doubt it.

Jay, is the simple urge to not want to partake not enough justification? I could go on for days about why I don't stand for God bless America, but why does it matter?

Is that not an extreme example of your implication? That I should join some non terrorist groups and try to affect change because "That's what democracy is " come off of it, bro. I don't give a damn if you want to belt out "Oh Canada " and feel all warm and fuzzy.

Well you must care somewhat because you were the one trying to make it personal, instead of just discussing it as if you don't care.

You wouldn't take it personal if I was telling you to act in a way that you were not compelled to?

Man. I never said I didn't care. I took exception to what you described. I care. Lol. I was just trying to discuss it and explore it, not just hurl insults back and forth.

Exploring different perspectives with people around the globe is part of what I love about The House. I imagine Stig is gonna flip out when he reads this. Lol.

Back