I'm a Dealer Rep!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice loader! Sure is interesting going back and looking at video of yourself running equipment from the beginning and comparing it to your current experience level.

Putting the 140 to work today. I've got one ~60' water oak to take down and move about 50' into the woods. Should be a piece of cake for the Gehl. Then down the street, I've got two floppers to clean up. I figure no more than a dozen grabs with the grapple. Internet time seems to be improving, so maybe I can post some pics before long.

I wish I would have thought about it when you mentioned it yesterday, but I should have came to capture video. Oh well, I signed the airport contracts yesterday and spent $1500 on insurance and bonding so maybe this time next week we will have plenty of things to video!

I'da let you shoot video lots cheaper than $1500! :lol:

The jobs went well. My operation is less than expert yet. Improving regularly, however!

Shoulda got a 340....just kidding. The 140 is just right for me at the present.

Just a single clip from a job of Scott's we did Monday. I captured much more footage (162GB worth), which I will incorporate into other videos.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hwq_cxe0Xio" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In the interest of efficiency, I ran the saw for a bit while letting Carl operate the loader. Come to think of it, he's never offered to run the saw while I operate his loader. :/:

I will readily admit his machine-operating skills far outshine mine. I was getting a little better by the time we finished the job, I think. :lol:

If anyone is on the fence for a year end purchase, we picked up an extra AL140, 2 post, with the "HD Traction" tires from the factory. Another dealership backed out of the order apparently so we got a deal on it. On top of the standard forum discount on the whole purchase, we can offer an ADDITIONAL 2% off the price of the machine.

The HD tires are the same tires I run on my loaders as well as what's on Scott's loader. They work fine on turf, with significant advantages when off grass as compared to a turf tire.

Haha by they might! Two minis and two Gehls!

Nick, no. Given it's length I'm not sure the 540 could lift it in the heeled position.

It probably could have drug it whole this time of year, Nick. Fully leafed out, prolly not. Yes it is a leverage issue. Often on a log, you can lift it sideways with the grapple, grabbing it in the center, while if you grabbed it toward one end and heeled it, you could not lift it.

Still unless you're piling to burn, nothing could handle a piece that big. It would have to be cut at some point, might as well cut it in the yard.

The biggest I could heel in the worse position(arms flat, heeled at the very tip of the log. 2' on the butt, 14' long.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355032952.366902.jpg

The biggest I could lift with the grapple turned perpendicular to the machine. Didn't measure it, but it's considerably larger. The butt is 40-42" (known) and roughly 14' long I estimate.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355033130.604944.jpg

The funny thing about the pic of the heeled log, is that you could have set a glass of tea on the tip of that log and the Gehl would have reared up. It was THAT well balanced. Granted, with Carl still in the seat, it wouldn't, but when he got off, I could push the log tip to the ground with a finger.

This in a long walnut log I picked up a few weeks after I got my 340. Approx 20" at the butt. Like 22' long, given I don't have it heeled right at the tip like Carl has in his pic, but dad could push it down to ground with his hand.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355067438.286205.jpg

The funny thing about the pic of the heeled log, is that you could have set a glass of tea on the tip of that log and the Gehl would have reared up. It was THAT well balanced. Granted, with Carl still in the seat, it wouldn't, but when he got off, I could push the log tip to the ground with a finger.

But down there a glass of tea has 45 pounds of sugar in it:P

Granted I could have grabbed it near 3' further up, curled the log as high as possible, and lowered the arms as much as possible. Any and all of those things would have increased capacity or given more reserve. That log certainly wasn't cumbersome to carry the 100 yards to the truck, it was set up for the picture.

Here is a similar log, on the same job, grabbed near its COG. The arms are flat, as is the grapple hanger (max reach), the log isn't a problem to lift.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355072822.978078.jpg

Back