Hunting 2013

That's the Explora Ball and Shot Gun, fired both, English made early 1900's.

They made some nice guns.http://www.westleyrichards.com/the-company

Explora-Page.jpg

What fantastic workmanship. Westley Richards are famous not only for their shotguns, but also for their "double rifles'' used for dangerous game, particularly in Africa. Ernest Hemingway owned and hunted with one. His was sold recently for nearly $300,000. As a boy, I devoured Peter Hathaway Capstick's great stories of hunting dangerous African game, imagining myself in those wild places, facing a charging lion or Cape buffalo. I'm not sure who made his rifles, but he was a great advocate of the .375 H&H cartridge. Most in those days used the larger calibers like the .470 or .577 Nitro Express. I can't imagine the recoil of those.

Ray, did you ever see the ABC TV show, American Sportsman? They hunted or fished all over, but sometimes in Africa. There were celebrities on the show doing the activities. I think it might have been Elliott Ness (Robert Stack), that either shot a charging Elephant or a Rhino, there were two separate episodes. When the slugs entered the animal's foreheads, you could see the dust fly up, and it simply dropped them. With the Rhino closing, i recall the announcer's voice getting nervous. They could be exciting programs. Given the celebs, I'm sure that there was backup.

I expressed a dislike for using live stuff for target practice.
I have nothing against hunting as such.
I don't give a shit for the "hunters" we have here, but that is a different story.

I expressed a dislike for using live stuff for target practice.
I have nothing against hunting as such.
:thumbup:

OldIrish, are you down on hunting in general now?

High power silhouette shooting is my gig. I love it. Ive even started getting the itch for the lever gun silhouette matches. They are less intense and more relaxed. And a LOT cheaper.

What about the BPCR game? I find the old single shots firing black powder rounds to be fascinating. Not too expensive to get started.

You are right about long range shooting. I SHOULD NOT do it as i have not practiced. I stay with about three hundred yards.

A high power scope does not make you a marksman, just as a helmet and a Nomex suit does not make you a race car driver.

Your post makes good sense.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Too many hunters think they can buy accuracy and skill. They might buy an accurate set-up but more often then not, their rig exceeds their capabilities. Like I said, I prefer the closest shot I can get. But, if the shot conditions are those in which I KNOW I can work with, I'll take a far shot.

Ray, did you ever see the ABC TV show, American Sportsman? They hunted or fished all over, but sometimes in Africa. There were celebrities on the show doing the activities. I think it might have been Elliott Ness (Robert Stack), that either shot a charging Elephant or a Rhino, there were two separate episodes. When the slugs entered the animal's foreheads, you could see the dust fly up, and it simply dropped them. With the Rhino closing, i recall the announcer's voice getting nervous. They could be exciting programs. Given the celebs, I'm sure that there was backup.
Jay, I DEVOURED those American Sportsman shows! Curt Gowdy did a tremendous job as host. You're bringing back some good memories. The only dangerous "game" we had on the farm was an occasional rattlesnake, but as a boy, stalking squirrels with a .22 rifle was pretty exciting. I'll never forget getting pounded by a light, break action single-shot .12 gauge shotgun. I almost dreaded flushing a covey of quail or having a dove fly over. That thing had a steel butt plate and it killed on both ends. Needless to say, I was not a very good shot with it. Bringing home game for the table was pretty rewarding too as a youngster, feeling like you were helping provide for the family.

Any recommendations in Crossbows? With my new Titanium neck, I can now hunt with one.
I've got a Carbon Express Covert SLS that I'm very pleased with. It's got short limbs that make it handy, but it's lightning fast and very accurate. The trigger pull is a little heavy and as with every other crossbow I've fired, it's a little loud compared to a hand-drawn bow, but otherwise it seems to be top-notch. I've only shot a few head of game with it, hogs and whitetails, but penetration with Muzzy broadheads is awesome. I usually have to kick around in the dirt to find the nock of a bolt that is buried to the hilt after passing through the animal.

Well, my gunsmith informed me today at a funeral today that he found a barrel in his shop for my project rifle.

It is a Pac Nor stainless No.5 contour. I was kinda leaning towards a No.4 Lilja, but barrels are kinda scarce right now.

What do you say Chris/tucker943? Had any experience with Pac Nor? Any preferences between cut and button rifled?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No experience with Pac Nor. Cut vs buttoned, doesn't matter. You or I would never know the difference on the range unless someone told us. Cut vs button rifled is a battle based on theory. I cant say which is better. Either process will make a barrel that exceeds my skill.

My mother called last night to ask me to look out and check the dogs (my sister and her family are on vacation, so my folks were keeping their dogs), said it sounded like coyotes were killing the little one. I thought, no way, but told her I'd check. Stepped to the door and shined the spotlight over there....sure enough, at least two coyotes were going at it with the little dog, while the beagle bellowed away at them. I stepped back in, grabbed the .22 magnum I keep above the door, and had my wife hold the light for me. I drilled one of them at 154 yards. They retreated, and I grabbed some boots and a shotgun and walked over. My dad had come out by then. He had finished the one off that I'd hit. It was unable to get up, but was yelping, so he finished it. That's the first time we've had them come up in the yard and attack something. This was about 20' from their yard light. I could see them in its light before I put the spotlight on them. Not sure what got into them.

Wow, that's crazy. That beagle must have a heckuva bellow to keep them at bay.

She'd been nipped in four places that we saw. She was a nervous wreck for a while. Skittish and shaking and growling at us. Actually the beagle got nipped in a couple of places too. I'm not sure he was actually keeping them at bay so much as trying to survive himself. They were tied out just out of reach of each other. Form my porch, they were in line with each other, and I took the shot when they were to the left and the two coyotes I saw were about 10' right of them. After I walked over and was talking with my dad, the coyotes were still yipping down in the woods, less than 100 yards from us.

For a domesticated animal to be attacked by wild ones, it must be horrifying. I remember when my cat was chased by a Fox, barely making it to the security of his kitty door into my shop on time. He appeared absolutely petrified. I never saw him in that state at any other time.

That was a nice shot, especially at night. I hate coyotes. Foxes too.

God damn coyotes get bigger and more brazen in the East. Out here they are pretty wary, but I have plugged a few at close range. They are hard on calves and lambs. Sometimes they will start eating before the calf or lamb is all of the way out of the birth canal. God damn coyotes.

I remember seeing a pic of a cow who'd gotten it's head stuck between to co-dominant tree trunks. Coyotes ate it alive, ass end first.

Back