Hunting 2013

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Butch, its FAR more cost effective to make your own. A cheap dehydrator and some end cuts of beef from the store and you could shave money off your budget. No preservatives and you could get creative with your recipe. I see bags of jerky going for 7 or 8 dollars. Drugs are cheaper.

I wish my grandfather would have written down his recipes. Probably twenty years ago we went hunting and got several deer. I had mine cut up and he made jerky out of the other two.

I think it was salt, black pepper, liquid smoke, and maybe soy or Worcester sauce, I cant figure the last ones out. Does soy or Worchester sound right to you guys?
We just made thin wide cuts and put them in the oven, we did not have a dehydrator. We ended up with like 200 pounds of jerky, heaven!
We never got too creative with our venison, most of the time we would just cut some off before the animal stopped twitching, build a fire and roast it on a green willow. Beat the hell out of wieners and Hormel chili!
Deer is good but antelope is my favorite. You guys ever had antelope?

Elk is real tasty in sausages when mixed with pork. It's a dry meat and needs the fat from pork, was explained to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Worcestershire in on 90% of jerky recipes. Including my own. I might have forgotten to mention that.

Elk is real tasty in sausages when mixed with pork. It's a dry meat and needs the fat from pork, was explained to me.

That's right. Pork is good when mixed with these lean meats. It will change the flavor somewhat though. Fat trimmings from beef or pork changes the flavor less, but gives the grease to hold stuff together.
Deer, antelope and elk are quite tasty. Bear meat does not need any extra grease when made into sausage! Some dogs wont even eat them!
Raccoon is good when shot out of a corn field, but maybe there are no raccoons in Japan!

Ah we have the coons here, and corn, but nobody eats them that I know of. Perhaps in the old days. Some say that Monkey can be good, but I'm not so keen to try. Shooting them is fine with me though. Raiding thieves and potentially dangerous to humans that they see as weak.

True, but once you have lived in proximity to them for awhile, you tend to lose any sentimentality that they are your ancestors. I almost want to believe the Bible's story on creation.

I have friends that have eaten mountain lion and bear, but I never have. I found out it was raccoon afterwards, I was at a wild game cook-off. I tend to agree with you in regards to eating meat eaters, but slow cooked in barbeque sauce it wasn't bad.

As far as monkeys go, I don't think I have the temperament to live near monkeys. They enrage me when I see them on TV, I cant imagine living next to them!

I ate raccoon once, and it tasted just fine. I'm pretty sure I've eaten monkey/cat/dog, but I'm not sure. Over there, they called everything chicken.

I knew a guy that ate some sort of dog soup in Korea. He said it tasted like how a wet dog smells?!?! He did say that through all of his travels Korea was the biggest challenge eating wise.

I find rabbit to be the closest thing to chicken, but I have never eaten proper frog legs, I hear they are like chicken. They ship them frozen to Montana and I figured if I was gonna try them I should try them in Louisiana. I did catch a pond frog and put his legs in a can of Hormel chili once, but I could not taste it. I suppose they don't eat 'em like that in Cajun country.

if you walk through an open market in Hong Kong, a nightly occurrence when I visited there, you really have to wonder what you are getting in Chinese food. Seemed like anybody could sell just about anything that was once or still is living. Just spread out a piece of cardboard and you're in business.

I remember one old guy had an enormous frog spread out on a pice of cardboard, and it was already butchered up. That looked like all he had, the one frog. It appeared that he had just plopped himself down and intended to make some dough.

It seems like most westerners are a bit squeamish about Asian cuisine, at least when they travel there. Century egg anyone? Tiny little sparrows?
I like trying new stuff. Well, sometimes.
Europe comes up with some different stuff too.

The animal shelter in Christchurch had to start profiling people when they came to adopt a cat. One woman would come and adopt a big fat cat once a week.

Back