Hunting 2013

20 yard shot, that's crazy. And wild how a beast that beastly was cruising around near Fairbanks, under peoples noses more or less.

Now remember that is an Interior Grizzly. The coastal brown bear get bigger skulls in some areas like the Peninsula, the Prince William Sound and the Kodiak group of islands.
But that's still a pretty huge bear.

I wonder if being a larger animal, i.e. having survived for so long, is indicative to some degree of being smarter than others?

They should capture and breed smart bears, introduce higher intelligence into the gene pool, then hunters would have bigger and more challenging game. On the other hand, maybe not such a good idea. :/:

I always loved the ad for Lockon (sp?) tree stands- it showed a bunch of caveman with spears and bows and arrows attacking a huge wooly mammoth using one of their tree stands and from the ground too.

The record keepers Boone+ Cricket, Pope and Young and SCI guage bear size on skull size. So a jug headed bear wins out. But thatdoesn't mean its THE biggest bear. I've been up close to 10' squared bears that didn't have as big a head as the one in the article. And I've seen bears in the 8 1/2' range that had heads that big. Its mostly genetics. Kodiak bears have big zygomatic arches which makes the length and width measurement come out higher than say a bear from Southeast Alaska that has a normal shaped head.

I wonder if being a larger animal, i.e. having survived for so long, is indicative to some degree of being smarter than others?

That is one thing I have against hunting.
This quest for shooting bigger animals than the other hunters.
It really screws with a population when the best part of the gene pool constantly gets mounted on somebody's wall.

Very true!!!!! Stig.
I like a good representation of the species combined with a good hunt but really I'm a meat hunter. Pure trophy hunters kinda gross me out. . I think they diminish hunting. With bears I'm more into problem animal control than trophy hunting.

Awesome film!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZDTtUSI_CGg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It tends to bother me when the large multi membered crew fishing boats haul in the biggest of the remaining Giant Tuna, say a three hundred pound fish. They are really magnificent creatures. When some fellow up in a traditional port town in the north, brings one of those in by hand lining alone in his small boat, helped out with his creaky winch, then can pay his bills for most of a whole year, I don't mind it so bad. Plus that incredible sushi!

Very true Gary but there's something in just about everyone, call it ego, drive, competitiveness or whatever, that wants to take the biggest critter or fish, climb the highest mountain, marry the best looking woman or whatever the case may be. I've never heard a guy say that his goal in life was to marry the ugliest girl in town!

Back