How'd it go today?

Man, I bought a rocket from HL that could just about reach the stratosphere. The engines cost nearly 20 bucks a pop! A flame six feet long would shoot outta the sucker, it was amazing. The only problem (because it went so high) was you had to have a HUGE clear spot to launch plus the wind had to be dead calm. People would shat their skivvies watching that sucker take off.

I used to be into rockets. Have most of the aerotech models. Have a couple for H and I motor casings. But never finished my certification to buy the reloads. You should check out the videos of the LDRS rocket launches. Large and Dangerous Rocket Show. There may be some on youtube. A bunch of amateur rocketeers

Going like crazy here. My new guy climbs well. Total old school though, closed system, no pulleys or nuttin fancy. But I'm telling ya he's frigging fast and agile.

Good deal, Rajan. Are they big?

I closed a decent size job for 20 pine removals starting this Friday. It's about 20 miles out of town and I don't have any dump spots in that area so we will be hauling the logs (and possibly chips) back to town. The number of days on the job will probably be dictated by the number of log loads I have to haul in my dump trailer. Hopefully two, possibly three. About half of them can be flopped but 4-5 will probably take an hour each to get them on the ground.

Say it ain't so Brian, you in the clean up biz now too?

Very rarely, Craig. I picked up a big dump trailer last autumn cheap and I use it about once a month or less. My buddy Mike has a chipper and chip truck so it works out sweet when we team up on removal jobs. I can load the logs straight into the trailer with my bucket/ material handler.

Nicely done! We have a knuckle boom for the past couple of years for our heavy lifting.

Knocked out two of a seven cottonweed removal. Pretty straightforward job, nice drop zones. The real problem is that the job is a stones throw from the saw shop so I picked up a new 200t today and they had 441's with the arctic kit and 3/4 wrap on sale for $600 which is about 4 bills off up here. So I got one of them too. The 441 was a c-note cheaper then the 200. Wtf?

Nice Squish!!! I'm trying to coach some more life into one of our 200T's until I can buy one of my own here soon. I really want to pick one up before the new ones come out.

Sharpened a bunch of saws today, the 200, 200T, 192T, 310, and 660. That 660 with a 32 inch bar was a pain to hand sharpen!! Going to work on getting some bar/chain combos up for our two 044's here soon, and some spare chains for all the saws. My goal is to have everything up and ready to go in time for work this weekend.

I forgot to mention I picked up my sammich board today. We'll be putting it out in a high vis place as we're doing jobs. Just has my logo, name, number, and 'call for a free estimate'. I'm thinking it's gonna bring a bit of work. Help the people that are a bit shy to contact me.

I've always felt like I miss out on a certain percentage of people that maybe think we're a hydro crew or some kind of outfit that isn't readily hired to a private homeowner on jobs like today were we're working for the school district. We'll see how it goes.

Can't hurt, and can't possibly have been so expensive that if it doesn't generate some biz, a man would lie awake at night kicking himself. I think it's a good move, J.

In general, if your operation looks professional to the average passerby, giving them easy contact info has to be a plus. On the other hand, if the equipment, personnel, and general operation looks fly-by-night, one would be unlikely to see business inquiries come from that sammich board :).

Not a concern with Squishie's tree service, don't cha know :D.

You got that right B. I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm inter-continental when I eat french toast.

Lol.

Squish,

If you are concerned about homeowners not realizing you do residential work, would it be worthwhile to add "Residential/ Commercial" on your trucks so that everywhere you go, people know?

Long day here. I started out by getting up at 5am to take Erik to the airport. We missed his flight yesterday due to a 45 minute, 2 mile traffic jam on the toll road. Got him sent off without a hitch, then I was off to my job for the day. I had 6 oaks to trim and clean up. They weren't too bad because this is the third time I've trimmed them in the last 10 years (once climbing and once with the blue bucket). Finished that job about 4 and then went about 5 miles up the road to knock down a small (10" diameter) maple for another regular client.

I'm gonna sleep good tonight.

Two weeks ago today I hurt my shoulder and haven't worked since. I went to the VA today and found out it was a torn rotator cuff. I got a cortisone shot and some strong muscle relaxers. Getting old SOCKS.

Back