How'd it go today?

Chased a motorized aerator around three sites today, I am wiped. Thank goodness its only once a year and I got all the sites done in one day rather than 3, rentals arent cheap!

husqvarna_lawn_aerator.jpg

To bad you didn't live closer, i'd rent mine to you, looks judt like that only blue

Thanks Willie, the one I rented was an orange Husqvarna unit, they had a few blue ones as well but they werent running that smooth, hiccuping and random idle. The one I got pulled left a fair bit but I got all three jobs done, good for the year. Costs about $90 plus tax for the day. I hate aerating, just FWIW

I reccomend it so much that when a $2200 machine popped up at an auction for $600 I just had to buy it

Another nice day here. Gave a bid this morning, got that. Stopped by the house and vacuumed up my mess from last nights partial insulation demo. Just have the other half to do, I'll do that later.

Just moved some logs to the log trailer with the mini so I can bring them to my house. I tried on the forks for once. They sure can move twice the weight in logs of that grapple can. Wow! I am just going to modify the forks a bit in order to tilt back more, they barely tilt back from level, which is a pain when moving around round objects that tend to roll. Thing is they can tilt all the way forwards, pretty useless in that manner. Gotta pick up some steel, then give them a nice paint job, along with making a drive in mount for them on the side of the chipper so they are always there. That's the main reason why I never brought them to a job, they are awkward to move.

Anyways, have a good day!

Willie, for that price, you bet! for a basic residential yard, about 2000 sq ft or so of lawn, I charge $75 to $100, if its straightforward (straight lines instead of tons of curved beds etc) it takes about 20 minutes plus 5 minutes on the backpack blower to tidy up. The tough part is doing the strata, its about 20,000 sq feet, give or take, with concrete pathways and all kinds of crap in the way so the raising and lowering of the 'tines' is brutal, my shoulders are killing me today. Oh vell, tis done. :)

Another nice day here. Gave a bid this morning, got that. Stopped by the house and vacuumed up my mess from last nights partial insulation demo. Just have the other half to do, I'll do that later.

Just moved some logs to the log trailer with the mini so I can bring them to my house. I tried on the forks for once. They sure can move twice the weight in logs of that grapple can. Wow! I am just going to modify the forks a bit in order to tilt back more, they barely tilt back from level, which is a pain when moving around round objects that tend to roll. Thing is they can tilt all the way forwards, pretty useless in that manner. Gotta pick up some steel, then give them a nice paint job, along with making a drive in mount for them on the side of the chipper so they are always there. That's the main reason why I never brought them to a job, they are awkward to move.

Anyways, have a good day!

told-ya.jpg

Ran some errands so far today. Picked up the chip truck for a small removal we have to do around 3. About a 20" DBH Maple tree, right next to a church. Just a quick volunteer job, shouldn't take more than an hour or two at the most.

I am just going to modify the forks a bit in order to tilt back more, they barely tilt back from level, which is a pain when moving around round objects that tend to roll.

[/QUOTE

Seem like if you could weld a stake pocket one the side of the front of the fork, you could pin the logs on the forks. A quick drop in the pocket after loading, and quick pull before dumping might work well. Wouldn't seem to take more than 10 seconds on each end.
You see the lumber racks at Home depot and such where they have a round pipe that drops in to keep the lumber from falling. Sorta like that. Just an idea.

Saved another tree , a small Autumn Blaze with girdling and kinked roots. Nice, the frozen chunks just chiseled away from the roots like slabs of ice cream cake. Young tree training, met with Archetict for site visite.
Visited the most F-up Sugar ever. Have to go back with the digi camera and vid. Must be a ton of hardware in it. Unbelievable the guy must of owned a chain and hardware store. Needs another look at, it is very big and complicated.
Hope I get to save it with Veteranization techniques over the next ten years.

Had to help dad with a tiller he couldn't get running. Cleaned the carb three times and nothing, put a little more gas in tank, it runs, facepalm!
Didn't have a throttle cable and the guy didn't want to buy one so had to jury rig the governor so it would have power to till but not race and blow itself up. It still runs a little fast for me, but it runs.

Spent about 4 hours cutting firewood, and grinding stumps today. Put a 32" bar on the 660, still have to sharpen it up, along with a few other saws, but most of the major saws have at least a bar and chain match up now and a good portion of them are at least semi sharp. Going to sharpen them all up this week in prep for the start of a few big jobs we have coming up. Some good sized removals and trims.

Today didn't go, rained out. Three months with no rain and it had to start now.

I had the best paying job I've had for ages booked in, had some help lined up as well. I can't get them again for two weeks so I guess I'll lose it. Sure could have used the money.:(

Yesterday went well, bid a job in the early morning, got that one.

Came home and went through my bike, then took off riding until 3:00. Had a lot of fun there. Ashly's sister was coming up with the baby for dinner so I hung out there then watched a movie.

Raining today, supposed to start working for the PT gig doing spring clean up on the "estate care" customers. Not today! I've got the electrician and carpenter at the house though, I'll give them a hand.

The forwarder finally made it to the tree I lost sideways into a field last month. So I spent 2 hours picking up all the small stuff that the crane couldn't hold and cursing my own stupidity.

That is actually one of the great things about being a faller. When you put a difficult tree down just right, it's like instant gratification. When you screw up, it's the other way round.

But you don't have to wait a long time to see the outcome either way.

Phone keeps ringing here. Might have a oak I have to either fell or take some off of over an addition. Looks like a lot of damage is up in the Ponderosa Basin area on Chowchilla mountain... They still have not plowed up there at all. So that is what we are waiting on. They have over a foot of snow.

First day of spring break with Bubba. Lots of running around, I figured if I was out may as well get as much done as I could since I was burning the gas, and it's supposed to rain tomorrow.
Went to Hobby Lobby and got him a model rocket we can build and shoot off later this week and a chess/checkers set. Kindergartener thinks he wants to learn chess?
Picked up the watch they wanted $250 to fix, that I only paid $200 for ten years ago, at the mall, then up and down the escalator a few times, he loves that.
Had lunch with mama, then went and looked at replacement Red Bud tree's for the one I killed last week. Finally found one and dropped it, with many apologies, off!
Hit the liquor store and finally home! I'm beat!

Man, I bought a rocket from HL that could just about reach the stratosphere. The engines cost nearly 20 bucks a pop! A flame six feet long would shoot outta the sucker, it was amazing. The only problem (because it went so high) was you had to have a HUGE clear spot to launch plus the wind had to be dead calm. People would shat their skivvies watching that sucker take off.

This is capable of 1100ft with the bigger engines, I got the ones to keep it around 500 for now. We can always go bigger next time. These engines aren't priced that bad, it was $10 for three of the larger ones, and $9 for four of the smaller ones.
The only other one I've built before was called the "mosquito", single stage, no parachute. Took me three days to build it, had four engines for it, launched it once and never found it again! Not going down that road again!
These new ones have "E" engines now, monster suckers! You have to buy a special launch pad for them even.

Good deal, Rajan. Are they big?

I closed a decent size job for 20 pine removals starting this Friday. It's about 20 miles out of town and I don't have any dump spots in that area so we will be hauling the logs (and possibly chips) back to town. The number of days on the job will probably be dictated by the number of log loads I have to haul in my dump trailer. Hopefully two, possibly three. About half of them can be flopped but 4-5 will probably take an hour each to get them on the ground.

That is actually one of the great things about being a faller. When you put a difficult tree down just right, it's like instant gratification. When you screw up, it's the other way round.

But you don't have to wait a long time to see the outcome either way.

Ain't that the truth!:/:

Back