How'd it go today?

Great day! Every year the city takes the compost they made from all the leaves they collect and gives it away to any one with something to haul it in. Two big scoops in the F250, one scoop into the chevy....then back again twice with the F250. I'm getting older, I'm not sure I could walk again if I unloaded it anymore....BUT....my son's getting older too......HA!!!!! He was none too happy when I went back for that fourth load. :D

Murdered a big Maple today... hauled off the wood in rounds to my Dad's place for his firewood stash for his backyard firepit. :)

Then went to my girlfriend's place to help her trim some of the lower branches off of 2 big cedar trees in her front yard. Looked way more better not having the boughs hangin' down touchin' the ground. Opened up the yard a little more too. Took off prolly 12 big branches and then cleaned up with the Zubat to even it out. Got my first Silky "bite" today too. Still love that saw though...:thumbup:

Gary

I'm off to my physical in hopes of employment at DuPont. Not sure if I can handle factory work, but the job is to good to just blow them off. I'll give it a shot.

Jonny, best of luck to you on the Dupont job. Big ditto on trying something you are not sure your going to like.

Nice Tick, Che.

I haven't seen one like that in awhile.

Good Luck at Dupont, Jonny.

Today, I spread mulch, removed a big broken Cypress branch, and chipped up a failed codom Stone Pine.

And the hits just keep coming.....

the kid i have working for backed into sombodys old van yesterday! we just had a safty meeting a few weeks ago about not backing up with out a spotter. just a ding but its a 608.00 dollar fix

Ouch!

We cut down a beetle damaged ash tree that was surprisingly heavy. I prefer the weight of wood in winter. We finished out the day trimming and removing hedging. Everything went according to plan and everyone was happy. Then I got a call from Wednesday's customer. I was excited to hear from her because I thought the tree turned out great. She wasn't happy. She felt like I should have taken more out of it. She refers to her tree as Bertha and felt like I should have pruned her harder. It took the wind out of my sails today.

I met her this evening in lieu of dining with the family and discussed the tree with her. I told her that, while I was happy to take some more weight out of the tree, I did not feel comfortable doing so now for fear of exposing the tree to sun scald damage(An old silver maple that already has a lot of sun scald damage from previous over pruning). I wrote her up an estimate to further reduce a couple of limbs over her house, free of charge in the fall. She was successfully placated. I still lost a bit of enthusiasm today and wonder why I am so sensitive.

Darin I just love those customers who call someone like us (who is supposed to be a tree professional or expert) and then tell us how to do our job. I wouldn't hire an electrician and then tell him to make all the outlets in my house 220v so why the hell do people insist on telling us how we need to hack up their trees??

aahh well rant over.

Actually it was yesterday.I went and looked at a couple of take downs in a camp ground.I'm not too bad of a ground faller but I can't work miracles of taking two dead elms,60 feet tall in 30 feet of space.The campground owner,who is tighter than a new boot,is going to have to pony up some cash and get a real pro with a bucket truck.I suggested Tom,most likely about 5 to 8 hundred to disassemble and drive away.I would have charged him 100 a pop to fall them.

yesterday was my last day working for the company I'm at right now. on to cali in a few weeks, to start with another co. out there for the summer.

jp:D

I had a beer with dinner tonight. I think the last one I had was when Ed visited here when he was having his chipper built. This week was good but trying and tiring somehow. A beer seemed necessary. After we got home I went to sleep. That was around 7 pm and here I am up again at 1 am. I am a wild man. At 6' 4" and 235 lbs. one beer lit me up and set me down. I am good for another 10 months or so, now that I have that out of my system.

Get a a hold of your self Darin.....Or you will be posting stories of your self in the On the Wagon thread soon....Hah!

Im off to do big Silver Maple prune at a buddies house.....

probably get paid with BBQ, mmmmm BBQ!

Back